West Virginia --- I-77

rayt333

I will be traveling south later this month and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on good caches to visit along I-77 (within 10 to 15 miles of I-77) from the Ohio line south to the New River area. And also any good caches near the New River gorge bridge. We are going white water rafting and hope to find some time to cache too.

Thanks in advance.

Easter Island is just beside 77 between Ripley and Charleston. Woodrums lake cache is about 10 minutes off the Kenna Exit of 77. Not a shocker cache is very cool and one you should definetly try. It's in Kanawha City and just off the exit.

The only thing around the New river gorge bridge will be a virtual if anything because it is a National Park area and actual caches are not allowed. There are a few around Summersville lake though.

Beauty Mountain Overlook isnt far from The New River Gorge Bridge...around 3 miles. Hawks Beak is also fairly close..less than 10 miles. Plum Orchard Cache is really close to 77 north of Beckley. There are 5 or more in Charleston that are close to the Interstate. And for a challenge..I humbly invite you to go a few miles east of Beckley on 64 and try my Pinch Creek Grotto if you want a challenging one.

My trip to the new river area ended early due to weather problems. We made it there and did the white water rafting trip but our tent wasn't waterproof and leaked which made camping very miserable since we didn't have a place to get dry and stay dry. So with this in mind we decided to return home early and this meant no caching adventure for today (6/01/03)

We did however remember to say hello to IWILLFIND at the toll booth, not exactly to him/her but left message with another toll booth worker to relay it for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but all is not lost, we had a blast and are already planning a return trip (with a waterproof tent) at a later time.

We did the magnetically attractive Kaymoor One and also the very very very beautiful Beauty Mountain Overlook. Both are near the NRG, and I recommend them to area tourists. Easy to fit them into the packed schedule. I was hoping to do at least one more (Little Beaver Lake Cache) but we just ran out of time on Sunday. Had to drive back north.

We HIGHLY recommend this area for those who enjoy rock climbing, white water rafting, hiking, 4-wheeling, boating, camping, whatever. All sorts of activities are easily accessible. We weren't bored for even one second.

-- Do you have a towel handy?

quote:
... I was hoping to do at least one more (Little Beaver Lake Cache) but we just ran out of time on Sunday. Had to drive back north...

I was going to do the Little Beaver Lake cache on sunday also and ran out of time. I actually drove through the park and found the trail head at 8:30PM.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif