Contacting the power that be..

Ballynoes

Hi, just new so not sure how to proceed with this.

can anyone tell me how I contact the "volunteers/moderators".

I have concerns about a cache which is quite dangerous to approach (3 feet from a busy main road) and highly unsuitable for younger cachers, dogs etc.

It also requires maintenance, and although I have marked it as such, I have since discovered all the other caches by the same user and now archived/deleted because there was no response to maintenance requests. I also see that said user has not logged any finds since 2010.

I think this cache will go the same way and would not like anyone hurt whilst trying to locate what is now a water filled container with pulp for a log book.

Thanks in advance.

Two options:

Finding your Local Reviewer

Contacting Groundspeak

The very first log entry on most Listings will be the Published log entry, posted by the Reviewer of that Listing. If they are still an active Reviewer, you can click on their Username and email them through their Profile.

Second option would be to contact Groundspeak, who can then forward your concerns to the current Local Reviewer for consideration.

I have concerns about a cache which is quite dangerous to approach (3 feet from a busy main road) and highly unsuitable for younger cachers, dogs etc.

It also requires maintenance, and although I have marked it as such, I have since discovered all the other caches by the same user and now archived/deleted because there was no response to maintenance requests. I also see that said user has not logged any finds since 2010.

I think this cache will go the same way and would not like anyone hurt whilst trying to locate what is now a water filled container with pulp for a log book.

Thanks in advance.

Caches are not reviewed for safety concerns, as each cacher needs to make their own judgement about whether they are physically able to search for a cache and are comfortable with the risk. A cache will unlikely get archived because it is too close to the road.

However, if the cache needs maintenance and isn't being taken care of, you can post a "needs archived" note on the cache which will get the attention of a reviewer. Posting a needs maintenance will not alert anybody other than the cache owner.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have marked as a "needs archived", and will let the volunteers decide.

As a adult I still think it is my (or everyone's) duty to say if a cache is in a "dangerous" location, just in-case there are youngsters out there who might otherwise attempt to find it.

Hidden 3 feet from the edge of the busiest road in the Highlands, is something I just wanted to make others aware of.

I will get the hang of all this one day.

As a adult I still think it is my (or everyone's) duty to say if a cache is in a "dangerous" location, just in-case there are youngsters out there who might otherwise attempt to find it.

Hidden 3 feet from the edge of the busiest road in the Highlands, is something I just wanted to make others aware of.

Giving people a warning is fine.

But safety is not a reason to archive a cache. After all, many 5-star terrain caches are quite dangerous if you don't have the proper training/equipment. Some are dangerous even if you do have the proper training/equipment.

Thanks in advance.

Caches are not reviewed for safety concerns, as each cacher needs to make their own judgement about whether they are physically able to search for a cache and are comfortable with the risk. A cache will unlikely get archived because it is too close to the road.

However, if the cache needs maintenance and isn't being taken care of, you can post a "needs archived" note on the cache which will get the attention of a reviewer. Posting a needs maintenance will not alert anybody other than the cache owner.

I think a combination of the above (safety concerns + inattentive/inactive owner) should be sufficient to warrant the reviewer's attention. But even aside from the maintenance issue, I think safety concerns alone should be enough for archival in some cases. Are there not situations where a cache submittal is denied for safety reasons? Yes, some caches are dangerous but if it's a known, obvious danger, like up the side of a cliff where you know you'll need special skills and equipment), those types probably wouldn't get denied because the risk is clear and is part of the challenge. But if there are safety hazards that are not so obvious and not an inherent part of the experience, like a cache placed on live electrical equipment or a vicious dog on the property, for example, those would likely be denied on safety grounds. So if such caches can be denied for safety reasons, could they not also be archived for the same reasons? Say if the original hider misrepresented the conditions of the cache location, or something about the location has changed that add a new hazard, those would be valid reasons to archive a cache due to safety concerns, would they not?