Media Request for Central PA Geocachers

Team Grayrun

A reporter from the Centre Daily Times newspaper in State College contacted us. She's wants to do a feature on geocaching and is looking for cachers in Central Pennsylvania to talk to.

If you're interested, send an e-mail to gplummer@yahoo.com and we'll send you her e-mail address and phone number.

Thanks.

Gary of Team Grayrun

Take care of the land. Someday, you'll be part of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Grayrun:

A reporter from the Centre Daily Times newspaper in State College contacted us. She's wants to do a feature on geocaching and is looking for cachers in Central Pennsylvania to talk to.

If you're interested, send an e-mail to gplummer@yahoo.com) and we'll send you her e-mail address and phone number.

Thanks.

Gary of Team Grayrun

_Take care of the land. Someday, you'll be part of it._

Since this is my local paper, I've sent the reporter and e-mail and will give a call tomorrow. Not sure what will happen, but I'm intrigued! I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

I did a 45 minute telephone interview with the reporter from the Centre Daily Times today. She seemed really facinated by the geocaching game concept and she will be doing an article soon. She wanted to make a few other contacts first and then maybe do a photo shoot of a cache hunt.

Pretty cool stuff! I'll keep anyone whose interested posted on the latest via this thread.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

I have set up a cache hunt with a reporter and photographer from a State College newspaper this Saturday (5/18). This seems to be a great opportunity to get some good press for Central PA and Geocaching overall.

There was even a few new local caches placed recently to make the whole thing a bit easier. Both the reporter and photographer have other stories to cover that afternoon, so an all day cache hunt would have been difficult. Looks like everything will work out well.

I'll let you know when it hits the press. Hopefully I can link the story to the boards.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

This is it

It was just placed the other day. We may even be the first finders. I've been to this area often and there is a great little nature trail and an awesome vista. It worked out really well since it is close by.

The alternative was this cache. I thought this one to be a bit tough for first timers...the reporter agreed and thanked me for sparing her out-of-shape legs.

Another alternative was to visit a cache I had already found, but she didn't want that at all. She wanted to maintain the integrity of the actual hunt. I liked that!

I'll keep everyone posted

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 16, 2002 at 06:34 AM.]

Hey! Good luck! Now don't you wish you had a signature quilt for this adventure?

I've been working with another cacher in my area to get some coverage for us. His parents live next door to a guy who does pieces on local activities....so we're hoping to spin it geocaching way and increase the number of caches here!

Good luck and will you be holding the fish for the px? icon_wink.gif

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Hey! Good luck! Now don't you wish you had a signature quilt for this adventure?

I've been working with another cacher in my area to get some coverage for us. His parents live next door to a guy who does pieces on local activities....so we're hoping to spin it geocaching way and increase the number of caches here!

Good luck and will you be holding the fish for the px? icon_wink.gif

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

The scheduled hunt today was cancelled by the paper. The morning was very dark and rainy so they decided to wait for better conditions in which to take pictures. icon_frown.gif

Oh well, I guess we will see what next week brings when we reschedule.

Glad to see NE PA got some press also. Anyone have any more info.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

The scheduled hunt today was cancelled by the paper. The morning was very dark and rainy so they decided to wait for better conditions in which to take pictures. icon_frown.gif

Oh well, I guess we will see what next week brings when we reschedule.

Glad to see NE PA got some press also. Anyone have any more info.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

I just received a call from my a family member in Williamsport, PA. He said that the Sunday edition of the Sun Gazette sported a story about that "space sattelite-game thing" I do.

Of course he is speaking of Geocaching. I have not seen the article but await a clipping from him soon.

Seems like Geocaching is starting to get a lot of press as here in Wilkes-Barre, PA too. Friday the cover story of the Guide section was Geocaching, a good 2 pages long and interesting.

Unfortunatly I have not been able to access either article via the internet (yet).

Happy Caching to all !!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay Folks:

The twice planned cache hunt with the Centre Daily Times reporter is back on for this Friday!

This time there will be no rain (hopefully) or photographers with bad hips. As a bonus, a few new caches have been placed nearby.

I'm pretty sure we will hit THIS cache. Maybe we will be the first finders?

Pray for good weather

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

quote:
If you think the reporter would be interested, could you please mention http://users.beanstalk.net/jsk/geocaching.htm that will happen the day after your cache hunt? That might round out her/his information even more.

That's ironic! I was going to mention in my post that I plan on bringing it up as an example of how cachers meet and get together. But I forgot to mention it in my post. Weird or What?

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 28, 2002 at 11:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 28, 2002 at 11:31 AM.]

Finally did the geocache hunt to get some photos. We found this Cache . Check out the log!

Miss Jen:

The reporter was already aware of the event tomorrow. She did speak with CCCooper too and I figured they filled her in!

All went well! I think the article will be quite good since it seems she did much research for it by speaking with numerous cachers. She also spoke with the DCNR and they told her they are developing a policy and guidelines. Hmmm, I thought that was interesting. She did mention that they seemed to be in favor of it, but, like any gov't entity, want to have some control.

Keep your ears posted.

I provided her with as much info as I could print from geocaching.com, so she should have it all.

All in all...very postive!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Interesting....a few weeks ago the Centre Times reporter called me too. She didn't mention going on a cache hunt, but did ask all kinds of questions about why I feel it's a family sport, where we hunt primarily and if I know other cachers. She did mention talking to CCCooper. I am curious to see how this article comes out. Since she has talked to several people and even been on a cache hunt she should have some interesting newbie perspectives.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Just started in on your Easterners site :-) since we are visiting soon. Please keep me posted on the press coverage! One of our local cachers here in Sacramento, CA got interviewed on TV last year..they went on a cache hunt too. It increased awareness for the sport..no negative aspects yet! (Keep your fingers crossed!)

Looking forward to coming out there on the 5th and exploring your pretty countryside.