Garmin GPSMAP62

When I track a hike mileage with this unit I always get a higher number then my fellow hikers. What are the best settings to get an accurate mileage of a hike?

What firmware version? The latest? A classic Garmin problem solved after several firmware updates.

I have version 6.10 which is the latest. Are there any settings that can improve the mileage accuracy?

You can set how to record a tracklog to view and edit later in BaseCamp or Mapsource. I use Auto and Most Often. Seems to record a good track without too many errant trackpoints. If you refer to the Trip Log displayed that is generally higher than a recorded tracklog. Not sure if changing the above mentioned settings caries thru to the Trip Log display.

You can set how to record a tracklog to view and edit later in BaseCamp or Mapsource. I use Auto and Most Often. Seems to record a good track without too many errant trackpoints. If you refer to the Trip Log displayed that is generally higher than a recorded tracklog. Not sure if changing the above mentioned settings caries thru to the Trip Log display.

Is there anything written up on this anywhere? Under what menu are these "Auto and Most Often"?