Bumped Thread

TommyGator

Suggestion to moderators: When you bump a thread to a different area, recommend you state (in your "bump" message) which forum & topic you bumped it to. Even better, you might consider providing a link to the referenced forum/topic.

Not being a "regular" user of the forums, I wanted to make a suggestion about a particular feature. I searched, found the topic, wanted to add my two cents, and found the topic "locked" and "bumped," with no idea where it got "bumped" to.

That's odd, all I've ever seen is when a thread gets moved to another forum, you can still click on its old placement to send you there.

It says "moved" in front of the topic.

If the thread's locked, it's not moved anywhere. It's a closed thread.

A "bumped" thread is one that's reopened after some time, maybe years, most times with the sole goal of getting it back to the top of the thread list

Often a thread may be locked after it was improvidently bumped, sometimes just to add a joke.

Edited by cerberus1

Typically when a thread is locked, it's because a discussion has run its course, there have been too many forum guideline violations, and/or the topic starter requests the moderators to lock the thread. In such cases the final post to the discussion will be an announcement from the moderator, stating that they're closing the thread.

Threads are "moved" (not "bumped") from one forum section to another when the topic starter guesses incorrectly about which forum section to open their topic in. Best practices followed by the moderators are (1) to keep an indicator in the old forum section that redirects to the new forum section where the topic was moved, and (2) to post, at the time of the move, a post like this one, identifying the originating and destination forum sections.

It is possible that a moderator forgot to check a box or add an explanatory post. Many moderators are dogs. Can you describe the thread you were looking for?

Suggestion to moderators: When you bump a thread to a different area, recommend you state (in your "bump" message) which forum & topic you bumped it to. Even better, you might consider providing a link to the referenced forum/topic.

Not being a "regular" user of the forums, I wanted to make a suggestion about a particular feature. I searched, found the topic, wanted to add my two cents, and found the topic "locked" and "bumped," with no idea where it got "bumped" to.

If the thread is actually "locked", then you won't be able to add to the discussion.

"Bumped" means a thread that has lain dormant for a while, and someone posts a reply to it.

Moderators "move" threads.

B.