eTrex30 Clearing Caches

Hello

I recently purchased an eTrex30 (I was using the eTrex Venture HC previously). With my older unit, I could delete certain caches directly on the GPS, or even delete them all. I also had the option of deleting them once loaded onto GSAK.

With the newer one I am unable to. Is there an option I can choose in settings (within GSAK or the GPS itself) to delete found caches once they are uploaded to GSAK? Or, do I need to do this via the file folders? But how do I choose to just delete the FOUND caches? How do I delete all caches?

Thanks in advance. I've gone through all the GSAK options I could see and didn't find one about this. I also tried the 'help' section but came up empty-handed.

You can't delete just found caches. Actually you can't delete individual caches from a GPX file. What I do is after uploading them to GSAK using Publish Logs I have the Macro (available on the gsak macro web page) called MoveFinds that moves them to my Found DB. Then I run the export macro again with the now changed db and it overwrites the old one so the founds are no longer there.

The older one you are talking about had a completely different method of handling the files which was changed.

Thanks for the reply. So, without using Macros, how do people generally delete data from their eTrex30? Once you upload them to GSAK using publish logs, are they gone from your GPS? When you run the export macro "again" do you mean the MoveFinds macro? And how does that delete them from your GPS?

Thanks

You can't delete just found caches. Actually you can't delete individual caches from a GPX file. What I do is after uploading them to GSAK using Publish Logs I have the Macro (available on the gsak macro web page) called MoveFinds that moves them to my Found DB. Then I run the export macro again with the now changed db and it overwrites the old one so the founds are no longer there.

The older one you are talking about had a completely different method of handling the files which was changed.

You can hook it up and go to the proper folder Garmin/GPX for GPX files and delete the gpx files you find there. You could actually unzip the PQ and drag/drop both files there without using gsak. Publish logs uses the Geo_visits file and has no impact on caches on the device. You can either delete or overwrite the file on the etrex and the next time you boot it up they will be gone.

The export macro is a separate one that most people use to send caches to the device. It has all kinds of features but in its basic form it is fine. For instance I have a macro in the export macro that changes the name of all mystery caches where I have corrected the coordinates on the GC website so when I look at the name on the device I know if that is the final location or the ghost one. In my case I put a ? in the title at the start to show that.

The movefinds macro runs as part of the Publish Logs dialog box.

You may want to spend some time in the gsak forums with questions related to that. Quick and accurate responses there.

Thanks a ton Walts Hunting.... Super helpful and I'm starting to understand all this stuff a little more :)

You can hook it up and go to the proper folder Garmin/GPX for GPX files and delete the gpx files you find there. You could actually unzip the PQ and drag/drop both files there without using gsak. Publish logs uses the Geo_visits file and has no impact on caches on the device. You can either delete or overwrite the file on the etrex and the next time you boot it up they will be gone.

The export macro is a separate one that most people use to send caches to the device. It has all kinds of features but in its basic form it is fine. For instance I have a macro in the export macro that changes the name of all mystery caches where I have corrected the coordinates on the GC website so when I look at the name on the device I know if that is the final location or the ghost one. In my case I put a ? in the title at the start to show that.

The movefinds macro runs as part of the Publish Logs dialog box.

You may want to spend some time in the gsak forums with questions related to that. Quick and accurate responses there.