Waymarking Cover Page

Hi, at the moment we have the 500,000th celebration text on our Waymarking.com default page:

"Half a Million Waymarks!

Congratulations to Lord Abercrombie for posting the 500,000th waymark, St Cattwg's - Churchyard - Port Eynon - Swansea, Wales, Great Britain. With its thorough description and beautiful photographs it's the perfect example of the quality and detail our community has come to expect from its users.

We are extremely proud of the Waymarking community for achieving this amazing goal, but it's not the only amazing goal worth noting. The site regularly adds approximately 1500 approved waymarks and 5000+ visits per week, 20,000 unique visitors per day, and there are over 100 categories that have more than 1000 waymarks posted under them.

Thank you again for your continued support of this site; it truly is driven by the community. Also, thanks to bruces and checkmark for helping with site and forums administration, and lumbricus for managing the Waymarking.com Facebook page.

Be sure to purchase your own limited edition 500,000 Waymarks Commemorative Coin in the Geocaching Store!

Posted on 9/9/2013 11:50:00 AM by bootron"

Does someone have a good idea for something to replace this? Perhaps a few sentences about new categories? I'm sure bootron would help us to load it up in the end. (Don't leave me in the lurch!, bootron :laughing: )

To tell the truth, I rarely go to that first page! I have bookmarks into everything that I'm interested in within the overall site. But I agree that it should be updated. Just don't have any good ideas.

'Twould be nice to put something on there that whets the interest in Waymarking to the casual reader. Something showing how interesting it can be to go looking for things like simulacra, caves, and so on and so on. I'm just not creative enough to tell you how to go about presenting something that would do that.

...'Twould be nice to put something on there that whets the interest in Waymarking to the casual reader. Something showing how interesting it can be to go looking for things like simulacra, caves, and so on and so on. I'm just not creative enough to tell you how to go about presenting something that would do that.

@Larry, could you help out. :cool:

I'm not very creative, and I'm not sure I can even describe what I'm thinking of.

But have you ever looked at those travel brochures that want you to visit their resort, or city, or park, or whatever? Or a website trying to do the same thing? Often there is some kind of photo jumble or a sequence of photos to whet your appetite. Perhaps someone swinging a golf club; someone hiking in a scenic area; someone relaxing by a pool; and on and on. They want you to say "Hey! That looks like a great place to visit."

So I was thinking of a series of Waymarking photos, or a jumble of them or whatever, that would show folks doing things you often find in Waymarking. Perhaps a photo of someone with their GPS in their hand and pointing at a really scenic country church or whatever. Perhaps a photo of someone standing at the entrance of an interesting looking cave and setting a waypoint on their GPS for it. Each photo would be clearly something that involves Waymarking, not just being at a fun/pretty/interesting place or thing -- the hobby has to somehow be portrayed in it.

I'm sure that folks with a lot better imagination than I have can come up with a bunch of photos that would make the casual viewer say "Hey! That looks like an interesting hobby."