Search for Nearby Geocaches box on the homepage

While I had used the new geocache search a bit, mostly I searched from the home page (either from my home coordinates or putting a location in the box) which allowed me to bring up a full, unfiltered map.

Today it brings me to the new search page... I see in the release notes for yesterday:

We will also be updating the Search for Nearby Geocaches box on the homepage. It will now deliver results using the new geocache search, with the exception of GC code searches which will continue to direct you to the relevant geocache details page.

So the default search from my home coords brings up a map limited to 1000 caches, rather than a "complete" map which I can just roam around. Or if I put in a less densely populated location, the caches shown on the map are limited by distance instead.

But I can get back to the "complete" map by clicking "clear search filters". So it's not a disaster, just a minor annoyance and an extra click.

What do others think of this?

Previously I searched from my home page too, which is set to default my home location and up to 100 miles away. It changed this morning to the new search, so the maximum default distance is 10 miles, which is maximum of 23 caches not yet found. If I change it to 30 miles I get up to 523 caches. That limited distance might work in a big city, but in a rural state, one has to search further than 30 miles away.

I had not seen the cache list/map on the profile page before either. Thanks for that info. I sure hope they don't change that one too!

I've always just used the map link from my profile page, or a cache page, so it doesn't affect me.

From a response that Moun10bike made in another thread, the reason the map page behaves differently when called from the new search page is that the map can't (yet) handle the new filters (e.g. caches with changed coordinates). I assume that GS is working on the maps page so that it will, and eventually all requests to the maps page will behave in the same manner. Similarly, although there is currently a "Use the old search" link on the new search page, development efforts are going to go into the new search page, and eventually the old search interface will go away. I just doesn't make sense to support two separate code bases so I"d get used to the new search page and provide constructive criticism on how issues can be fixed and improve the new search page rather than always go to the old page.