Find out about a USGS benchmark

trailwalker

I've been geocaching off and on since 2002. On a recent hike, I found a benchmark (image inserted below). I was trying to figure out how to get information about this benchmark and others. This one is listed on my topo maps (I use EasyGPS). There is a "BM" and "X" at the spot. But I can't find it in a database. Do some of these benchmarks become abandoned after a time? This one is literally right on the Appalachian Trail and has been substantially defaced, so a lot of people have seen it. I can't see that it has been logged on this Geocaching site. Why can't I find it listed in any databases? When I list the coordinates, I can find benchmarks in the area, but this location isn't among them. From what I can tell, most people who do benchmarking are finding a benchmark listed in the database first and then going out to find and log it. I guess I'm trying to do the opposite. Sorry for the long post, but I'd like to get started in benchmarking and am not quite sure how to do that.

IMG_1171v2.jpg

There are some benchmarks that just aren't in the database. I live near a waterway that was constructed in the 1970's-80's. As one walks along the levee, one can find loads and loads of benchmarks that were placed for the building of this huge project. None are listed (or loggable) on the benchmark section of geocaching.com.