Question about releasing a duplicate TB or duple-bug

spankybrandonf

My question is probably a simple one, I am about to release a duple-bug due to the fact a inexperienced cacher ( that I have been in contact with ) grabbed my custom trackable from a cache and never logged anything, and has no clue where or what cache he re-dropped it in and since he didn't log anything, its making removing the missing tag very hard, OK so on to my question, when i release this duple-bug

( duplicate tag ) into the wild, what happens if the missing one shows back up and starts getting logged into caches, while the duplicate is also getting logged in completely different caches or cachers hands, does it mess anything up to have it logged into 2 different caches at the same time, and how do i handle something like that, as in writing the person who has either and have them mail to me, or what to do about the duplicate at that point, I'm thinking it would be unfair to whoever has one or the other?? if my question needs clarification, please feel free to ask, and I look forward to receiving your good answers, and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Brandon

I have no experience whatsoever with trackables so I can't provide an answer, but just out of interest, what's the benefit of releasing a duplicate rather than a new trackable with a different tracking number? Presumably you want the duplicate to carry on from the original's last location, but personally I would just accept the loss as one of the vicissitudes of caching and try again.

what's the benefit of releasing a duplicate rather than a new trackable with a different tracking number?

The tracking number comes with lifetime tracking. Since a TB may cost over $4.00 just for the tag, and the TB page with its logs is already in operation, many cachers prefer to reuse the tracking number when their TB is lost. Sure you can buy more, but I revive all of mine. I make a better version of the lost TB, and keep it. But it's also great to place a revived TB and try again.

It's a good idea to wait a while when a TB has seemed to fall out of the world (perhaps a year) before reviving the TB, in case the old one is in fact not yet lost.

My question is probably a simple one, I am about to release a duple-bug due to the fact a inexperienced cacher ( that I have been in contact with ) grabbed my custom trackable from a cache and never logged anything, and has no clue where or what cache he re-dropped it in and since he didn't log anything, its making removing the missing tag very hard, OK so on to my question, when i release this duple-bug

( duplicate tag ) into the wild, what happens if the missing one shows back up and starts getting logged into caches, while the duplicate is also getting logged in completely different caches or cachers hands, does it mess anything up to have it logged into 2 different caches at the same time, and how do i handle something like that, as in writing the person who has either and have them mail to me, or what to do about the duplicate at that point, I'm thinking it would be unfair to whoever has one or the other?? if my question needs clarification, please feel free to ask, and I look forward to receiving your good answers, and thank you for your time.

First, if you have the "TB Copy Tag" that has the imprinted text "Keep Me", you should keep it :anibad:. If alleged "Geocachers" can rationalize keeping a tag that says "Don't Keep Me", a tag that says "Keep Me" is doomed. B)

You've put a lot of thought into your re-release, and that's great! As mentioned, if your TB has kind of evaporated, wait a while before reviving it. The original may show up. Two of mine emerged from the abyss, eighteen months after “disappearing”.

When you make a new version (I call it “revived”), make some decent logs about what you released compared to the original, and post photos. That way, the logs may reflect which version was found. You may get some ideas from Instant Karma.

Since you would have placed good info about both the old and revived TB, maybe a finder will be able to tell if they find the original. If there is a copy in circulation when the original reappears, you may claim one, and try to get it pulled from play. Ask the current holder to discard it, or return it to you, or whatever.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the great answers, mines been missing over a year now, and the guy who grabbed and placed without logging anything, only reason i tracked him down, was a friend with him wrote after seeing my posted note in last location but your right it may still show up, but when i release a revived tb i will include detailed info in logs incase someone finds original and attached info to duplicate explaining its revived. Thank you

• Helpful 1

I just spent the afternoon creating 5 clones of the original (clones only by TB tracking number, btw).  They were all from 2012, with no action since 2016. Had fun doing that, made a dog-tag with the original name and tracking number, a home-made keychain, a notification card that it IS a trackable, and laminated a story about the original. Included a photo if I had one (I didn't make them when I first started out, but now, I consider that a MUST!

Now I just have to find a (relatively) local cache that is the right size. Can't wait for them to be on their way again.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1