CHANGE A CACHE'S TYPE

brian22jones

Assuming that the multicache has been published and active for at least three months, you should archive the multicache and resubmit a new cache listing as a traditional.

That way, people who valued having the multicache in their statistics won't be adversely affected by the design change. They found it as a multicache and should get credit for it that way.

This is why cache types are not editable.

Sometimes a mistake is made in the selection of the cache type. This usually becomes apparent based on feedback from early searchers. ("I was surprised to see nothing in the container but the coordinates for a second stage, since this is listed as a traditional.") When there's a mistake, the cache owner can email their reviewer to make the correction.

Can I ask, is the reviewer 'allowed' to change the type beyond three months, or is that a cut-off point?

Generally speaking (and there's always exceptions to every rule), I would not change it if there are Finds posted on the Listing. As Keystone pointed out, actions like that will alter the statistics of the Finders on the Listing. If they're working towards completing a Challenge or something, that could make some folks very unhappy. Best to be careful at the submitting point to make sure things are correct in the first place.

Can I ask, is the reviewer 'allowed' to change the type beyond three months, or is that a cut-off point?

My mentioning the three month period was on account of the "Cache Permanence" section of the listing guidelines. If a cache was published as a multicache, and three weeks later the owner changed their mind and wanted it to be a traditional, the reviewer might cite the Cache Permanence guideline and refuse to publish a new cache at the same spot until the presumptive period of permanence had passed.

Not all reviewers would be that way. Many reviewers are dogs, and dogs have poor calendar awareness.

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW A WAY TO CHANGE A CACHE FROM A MULTI TO A TRADITIONAL. I DISABLED IT AND EDITED TO A TRADITIONAL BUT IT WONT LET ME CHANGE THE Y TYPE

http://coord.info/GC5BXD7 Publish Listing 09/02/2014

You should familiarize yourself with the invaluable Help Center.

Especially the section about owning a geocache:

Help Center - Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

3.12. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

You might wish to make minor changes to your geocache page after it has been published. Your geocache must still abide by the Guidelines.

To edit your listing, log in to your Geocaching.com account and display the listing. In the Navigation box in the upper right corner of the geocache page, use the "edit listing" link. That will take you to the original geocache report where you can edit the title, text, hint and geocache size. You can also edit the difficulty and terrain ratings. You may wish to make adjustments after a few finds on a new geocache, or if a geocache container has been replaced.

Once you have made the changes, scroll to the bottom of the form and click the "submit changes" link and the two buttons:

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a geocache.

Yes. I have read and agree to the terms of use agreement.

You will find that you cannot change the geocache type. Changing the geocache type will retroactively alter the statistics of all previous finders, so we do not allow this field to be edited.

3.13. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

If you need to change the coordinates beyond 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m), or change the type of geocache, please contact your local reviewer. The reviewer will check the changes for adherence to the current guidelines and notify you when the changes have been made, or suggest that a new geocache listing should be submitted. Please be sure to follow any instructions the reviewer may send you.

There is a link to the profile page of the reviewer that reviewed your geocache listing in the bottom of your geocache page (you must be logged in). If you email a reviewer and do not receive a reply within one week, the reviewer account may be inactive and you will need to contact us at Groundspeak.

contact@geocaching.com

When you contact the reviewer or Groundspeak please provide the geocache name and GC Code for the listing.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Assuming that the multicache has been published and active for at least three months, you should archive the multicache and resubmit a new cache listing as a traditional.

That way, people who valued having the multicache in their statistics won't be adversely affected by the design change. They found it as a multicache and should get credit for it that way.

This is why cache types are not editable.

It seems to me that another reason for requiring reviewer intervention for changing a cache type be to prevent someone from gaming the system.

Consider the following scenario.

A user finds the "perfect spot" for a cache but when trying to submit a listing they are told that it can't be published due to proximity issues with another cache. (sound familiar?)

The user comes into the forums and complains and is told that they could submit it as a multi if they use a virtual stage at the location with a "answer to question" and hide the final elsewhere. (again, such a scenario is fairly common).

So the user submits a listing for a multi-cache but they really wanted to hide a cache at that "perfect spot" so after it's been published they change the cache type to a traditional, leave the original coordinates intact, and hide a container at that location.

I would guess that in most cases changing the cache type would justify a "re-review" of the listing as there are different guidelines for different cache types.