Very new to geocaching.

and_Janine

First of all, I completely apologize if nothing I say makes sense, I'm still trying to figure things out. All the FAQs I read make it seem so difficult and invasive, I even took a book out of the library but a lot of it talks about how to use a GPS. Do I need a GPS? Is there something I can use on my phone, google for instance? I don't plan to do anything to difficult. Nothing more than a 2 for both difficulty and terrain, at least to start off. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on something I'm just starting on and may not be interested in in a few months time.

Is it just as simple as finding the geocache, signing the log book, and then log it on the website or app?

What are trackables? I've read about coins and travel bugs. This really interests me. The trackable that I saw posted (on etsy | there`s a lot there) was a sort of keychain thing with an attached laminated card with a name and ID code, it looked homemade so I`m assuming this is something I can make on my own and then leave it in a geocache I find?

What other things should I know about?

As well, why does my app have a different price to upgrade than the website? (app 11.99/34.99 website 9.99/29.99)

Thanks in advance!

Is it necessary to have a GPS if I am just starting out with easy caches? Is there maybe an app that I can download to use? I have the intro geocaching app and I have tried to figure out if I can use the google maps app but I don't know how to retrieve or input the coordinates. I'm not to fond of the idea of having to buy an expensive GPS, at least right now.

Welcome to the game obsession. You do not need a GPS to enjoy geocaching. The Intro app will give you what you need to find and log caches. It uses the GPS hardware already in your phone to help you locate a cache.

And yes, it is as simple as find the cache, sign the cache log, (replacing the cache back as you found it) and logging it online - using either the app or website.

As far as Trackables, they are a side aspect of the game. One thing to remember is never to share the code number from the coin. That is used when one logs the coin, and some out there will log a coin they have never seen if they get the number - I don't know why. Check out the Help Center for more information about Trackables. I have seen/own many different things that are Trackables. Some are Geocoins (number cast into the coin), one is an old HotWheels car with a Trackable tag attached (I attached the tag to the car), one is a novel (a real book, with the Trackable number inside the cover) which is sort of Geocaching related, one is a stuffed animal (tag attached), ect. They can be anything which has the Trackable Number purchased from Groundspeak (owner of the website).

K13 is correct. Your phone will do just fine. In the future, if you are really getting into it, and think a handheld would be worth the investment (there are + and - of both phones and handhelds), you can indeed purchase one, but no need yet.

The free intro app will get you going. Again, if you are really getting into the fun, consider paying for either the full app from geocaching.com, or one of the other approved apps (CacheSence, CacheMaid, NeonGeo etc.).

The memberships you were asking about are for the Primium Membership (PM). There are benefites to it, but it is not needed, especialy for a beginner. Again, think about it if you are really starting to play alot. You will find that the apps will work better with the PM. I suspect the different prices you listed are just due to verious currencies.

As well, why does my app have a different price to upgrade than the website? (app 11.99/34.99 website 9.99/29.99)

Those prices are for completely different things.

A Premium Membership with Groundspeak is about $30.00 US Per Year.

It does not include any apps.

Benefits & perks of Premium Membership:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5'>http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Groundspeak has 2 apps. One is a Free, INTRO app. The other is the Pro (Paid). The Pro app is paid for once, and can be transferred to another phone, as long as it's the same platform.

Here's the Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

And here's the Help Center - Apps section:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Free App for iPhone

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Free App for Android

4.2. What is the difference between the Geocaching Free app for Android, the Full Featured (Paid) app, and Geocaching Premium?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=504

Geocaching 101

https://www.geocaching.com/guide/

B.

Thank you, Pup Patrol, for the clarification between the paid app and the premium membership.

Another question I have, how can I tell the difference between the basic and premium membership caches on the website? Are the premium ones just not there for me to see? I wouldn't want to go looking for a cache only to find out I can't log it. I always though the ones I can't access in the app were the premium ones but I read that the intro app is just extra limited.

I'm hoping to head out this weekend.

In the past when I was a Basic Member, when looking at the map zoomed out on my computer, I could see all caches. As I zoomed in to a level that was almost useful enough to locate a cache, the Premium Member Only caches would disappear from the map. As I've been a Premium Member for a few years now, I'm not sure if the maps function the same these days.

As far as I am aware:

Premium Members can see every cache active in the game.

Ordinary members can see every cache that has not been made "Premium Member Only" by the cache owner.

Intro App members can see every cache that a cache owner has allowed to be seen on the app.

So I think you are right that the intro app is extra limited, but that does not mean they are poor quality. It usually just means the caches are a good starting point to see if you like the game before signing up as a member.

Chances are if you click on a cache you will likely know what a Premium Member only cache is, because you will be unable to see the co-ords. Doesn't mean you can't use google maps to find the general area and have a go from there (I did this on a few PMO's before becoming an actual premium member).

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Pup Patrol, for the clarification between the paid app and the premium membership.

Another question I have, how can I tell the difference between the basic and premium membership caches on the website? Are the premium ones just not there for me to see? I wouldn't want to go looking for a cache only to find out I can't log it. I always though the ones I can't access in the app were the premium ones but I read that the intro app is just extra limited.

I'm hoping to head out this weekend.

Not sure about the apps, but on the website and the maps, PMO caches have a circle around the icon.

If you do find a PMO, then you can still log it as "found". There's been a lot of discussion on how to do it, so I think a forum search for "back door method" will get you some results.

B.

If you are a Basic Member using the free Intro app...

2.1. What Geocaches am I Able to Find with Geocaching's Free App for iPhone?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=513

If you are a Basic Member, you will see:

All geocaches up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Green dots denote all traditional geocaches, up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Grey circles denote all other geocache types (Mystery, Multi, Earth, Letterbox, Event, CITO, Virtual, Webcam, Project A.P.E) and all levels that are available to Premium Members only

4.1. What geocaches am I able to find with the Geocaching Free app for Android?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=503

If you are a Basic Member, you will see:

All geocaches up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Green dots denote all traditional geocaches, up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Grey circles denote all other geocache types and levels that are available to Premium Members only

The Android intro app's write-up is so different from the iPhone write-up! And it's poorly worded. Geez, no wonder folks new to the game get confused.

I think it's stunning that Basic Members using the free Intro Apps don't see Event and CITO caches. That just seems odd, and counter-productive. First thing a lot of folks suggest to newbies is to attend Events!

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol