event location moving

Hello All,

I have searched the forums to see if there has already been a post on this but l couldnt find any (in saying that though l could have possible been looking for the wrong thing though).

My question is in regards to events, more importantly the locations/hq of the events.

I am looking at having a event much similar to a car trail were we meet at the first hq/gz and when everyone has come and registered and been given all their bits and pieces for the event activities will then leave and go do said activities.

At this point after everyone has left event hq/gz it would then move to a better final gz which is better suited for the final gz/hq were as the first location hq/gz is better suited for the beginning of an event and not the ending of an event.

Do you understand where l am coming from?

My question is is this allowed or would l be required to have 2 events, 1 being the beginning of the activities/registration and then a second event 2) which is for awards and lunch?

thanks heaps guys

Ben

capt.roverman

Events are designed to provide socializing opportunities for geocachers. If the geocachers are racing around and about, they're only socializing with others in the same car/on the same team.

Your real "event" is the awards lunch and your writeup should feature that. The optional additional activities can be mentioned on the cache listing, including the starting point, but these cannot be the central focal point of the event. People can choose to attend the event without participating in the optional road rally type activities.

reply from our esteemed reviewer: "An event cache must take place at the posted coords, and last a minimum of 30 minutes at that location. Events that are designed to wander like a pub crawl, art walk, etc. cannot be listed. You can have a 30 minute event at the posted coords. Your listing must contain a starting and ending time per the guidelines. If people want to go elsewhere together after the event that can be arranged at the event. http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event"

BUT the link he provides seems to say the opposite: "It takes place at the posted coordinates, includes start and end times, and lasts at least 30 minutes. Events with several elements, a sequence of events, or events that are near the same time or location and intended for the same audience should be submitted as a single event. Additional waypoints may be added to the event listing for the locations of event activities.."

I read this as saying all similar events should fall under ONE event page & listed as waypoints

OR

does it say that each location has to have it's own event page? (If so, I don't understand why the waypoint locations for activities is mentioned)

***His text includes the code to BOLD the statement about "pub crawls", like it was copied from a webpage - I've asked where he found this info, but he only sends me the general guidelines link again and again. Does anyone know where it was copied from?

I had 5 locations set up every half hour: An attendee only needed to visit one for a smiley - but all 5 for SWAG

Is he saying the other 4 locations need to be "activities" listed as waypoints?

Help in finding more info is appreciated, my 2 week prior to event stipulation is running out.

Edited by CB42

Can I request another reviewer - our state has two - the 2 week prior to event time stipulation is running out.

The other reviewer would likely tell you the same thing, and "reviewer shopping" isn't the service model. Your state's other reviewer has his own workload to deal with.

The recommended path when you are at an impasse with your reviewer is to request a second look from the Appeals Team at Geocaching HQ. You can contact them through the Help Center -- be sure to classify your inquiry for "Appeals." Typically they will get back to you within a day or two, and that's even more likely since there is a time clock ticking for an event cache.

Events are designed to provide socializing opportunities for geocachers. If the geocachers are racing around and about, they're only socializing with others in the same car/on the same team.

Your real "event" is the awards lunch and your writeup should feature that. The optional additional activities can be mentioned on the cache listing, including the starting point, but these cannot be the central focal point of the event. People can choose to attend the event without participating in the optional road rally type activities.

Where is it in the guidelines where "crawls" are prohibited, I don't want to go to appeals and have them point out that it is in black and white somewhere - and I'm overlooking it. Believe me, I've looked and looked!

I like your solution where a "road rally" , like a "crawl",can be listed as waypoints & are are allowed.

Edited by CB42

The guidelines are general in nature; there is not a specific mention of "pub crawls." In 12 years of reviewing, I've never seen a multi-location pub crawl event. So, not surprisingly, the guidelines don't get into that level of detail.

Your reviewer's first note explained that a pub crawl was one type of non-static event that is subject to the current guideline language. When you did not take that guidance to heart, his second note boldfaced a portion of his previous text, to make sure that you were not overlooking it. He was not quoting specific guidelines text.

For those reading along, the reviewer's specific guidance was: "An event cache must take place at the posted coords, and last a minimum of 30 minutes at that location. Events that are designed to wander like a pub crawl, art walk, etc. cannot be listed."