Multiple area caches don't display the same time on my Oregon 600

findertwo

I have 4000 local caches loaded into my Garmin 600. They all show up in the GPS window when I choose the Geocaching function as they should, so they are all selectable.

I noticed that both in-route and at the actual location of the geocache in search of, I don't see ANY of the other many geocaches in the immediate area that I know are there; not a single one displayed except for the one I'm looking for.

It doesn't make sense because they are all in memory. (I do have a Garmin street map chip in the external memory slot so I can use it as a car GPS).

Do I have a missed/wrong setting, or is this what I'm to expect?

Thanks,

Findertoo

I have 4000 local caches loaded into my Garmin 600. They all show up in the GPS window when I choose the Geocaching function as they should, so they are all selectable.

I noticed that both in-route and at the actual location of the geocache in search of, I don't see ANY of the other many geocaches in the immediate area that I know are there; not a single one displayed except for the one I'm looking for.

It doesn't make sense because they are all in memory. (I do have a Garmin street map chip in the external memory slot so I can use it as a car GPS).

Do I have a missed/wrong setting, or is this what I'm to expect?

Thanks,

Findertoo

You should check the zoom setting for geocaches in the Map Setup screen. Some of the newer models have the factory default set to a very low distance, meaning you have to zoom in pretty close for the caches to show up on the map. Change that setting to Auto and they should all show up on the map.

Geocaches: Auto

That's the setting to change. Go to

Setup > Map > Advanced Setup > Zoom Levels > Geocaches

...and set a range manually.

Mine's at "5 mi", which is OK in this area. As mentioned, you may not need to see a mass of cache icons when zooming out, so your chosen setting may be a little different.

Edited by kunarion

Looks like Findertoo has the display/zoom settings correctly, although I wonder why User Waypoints is turned off. That shouldn't affect geocache displays, though.

Could there be a filter setting that's not right? The most common filter setting is to not show found caches. It almost sounds like it's set somehow to only show the cache he is navigating to, but none of the others.

Findertoo, does it make a difference if you are navigating to a target or not? By that I mean, does the map show anything differently when you are not navigating to a cache versus when you are navigating? Besides the magenta beeline, of course. :D

'Travelin' Like A Javelin' idea of setting it to 5 mi seems to have helped. Does anyone know the real reason behind all of those many distance choices?

It's so you can customize at what zoom level the geocaches are displayed on the screen. For example, if you're in a really cache-dense area, you probably don't want them all showing up when zoomed out very far, because they'll obscure the underlying map and make navigation difficult. In such a case, you could adjust the distance setting so the caches aren't displayed until you're sufficiently zoomed in that the caches are spaced out enough to view the map underneath. Likewise, if you're in an area with few caches, you can have them show up while zoomed way out and still see the map.