Buffalo, NY Caches

Dekaner

There seems to be a drought (sp?) of caches in the Buffalo, NY area - so I am planning to begin placing caches in the Buffalo Olmstead Parks system.

I thought it best to check here first if anyone has had any contact with the City of Buffalo regarding Geocaching and what the outcome was - good or bad.

Please let me know ASAP as I am hoping to get my packet out to them in the next few days. Thanks!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Hey! It would be great to have more caches in my area!!!

I just posted my best cache to date......THE HOBBIT - BAG END CACHE. It is a cache that links to the Fellowship of the Ring cache in Erie PA, has a geoquilt project attached and contains the best prizes we have placed yet. I have a small bag of silver jewlery, some nice stones, current CDs and items that go along with the Tolkien theme.

Our second cache.....C & S Eversures cache was my first approved by the commisioner of the Erie County parks department......I had to write a 12 page presentation for that one explaing geocaching and what we as a family would do to maintaine our cache.......

We also have the Akron Bike Path cache ...it is a replacement for the one that was stolen on the same path....somebody trapped all over private land...asked a renter how to get on the path and I think that cacher was followed by the renter and the cache then stolen.....so for the replacement cache we put the parking coordinates in the bdy of the report...rather than a clue...sent a picture of the parking lot and described the cache as being off a black topped bike path........

Currently I have to reserve my caching to the weekends as the closest that i haven't done are in Rochester........so Dekaner.....please hid away!

If you want we could team up to get some publicity....Buffalo News or one of the TV channels.....I currently have a geoquilt project on Canada that is going very well....blocks to be sent to all provinces. 2 cachers from Ottawa are helping me with it........

e-mail me with any questions ect.....

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Funny you should mention Erie and Buffalo.....The Tolkien caches are a cooperative that Mike chim and I are doing......The Fellowship of the Ring multi cache is in Erie PA and the Hobbit one that I mentioned yesterday is here in Akron NY...30 minutes from buffalo........

2 more by MIke chim to go in the Erie PA area....Twin Towers and The return of the King

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I've been geocaching for quite some time now, but haven't felt the urge to place new caches. (Syracuse and Rochester are filled with them!)

But when I wanted to go back to Buffalo - well you've all seen the dismal turn out.

I have tons of places I'd like to place some caches, and this is my first attempt at getting some officially approved.

I figure once I have the City behind me it will be much easier to get new ones in place.

I have a couple of contacts in the media, and I am also trying to get the Buffalo Olmstead Conservatory group in on this round. I think the Buffalo News has done a good job on covering Geocaching (2 articles in the past 2 months), but think it would be cool if we could get a tv spot after I get these in place.

So in short - yes! Let's team up, place some caches and get famous! icon_wink.gif

On that note, would you mind sending me the contact information for Erie County, both for future reference and in case my contacts in Buffalo want to talk to them? Perhaps we should call/email them first and ask if it's okay to use them as a reference?

You can either post the information or you can email me at dekaner@kkf2a.com.

Thanks for the support!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I've been geocaching for quite some time now, but haven't felt the urge to place new caches. (Syracuse and Rochester are filled with them!)

But when I wanted to go back to Buffalo - well you've all seen the dismal turn out.

I have tons of places I'd like to place some caches, and this is my first attempt at getting some officially approved.

I figure once I have the City behind me it will be much easier to get new ones in place.

I have a couple of contacts in the media, and I am also trying to get the Buffalo Olmstead Conservatory group in on this round. I think the Buffalo News has done a good job on covering Geocaching (2 articles in the past 2 months), but think it would be cool if we could get a tv spot after I get these in place.

So in short - yes! Let's team up, place some caches and get famous! icon_wink.gif

On that note, would you mind sending me the contact information for Erie County, both for future reference and in case my contacts in Buffalo want to talk to them? Perhaps we should call/email them first and ask if it's okay to use them as a reference?

You can either post the information or you can email me at dekaner@kkf2a.com.

Thanks for the support!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I got official support from the Buffalo Olmstead Parks Conservancy last week.

I spoke to the Buffalo Parks Dept. again this week and they are giving me the green light - just need to apply for a park permit. Woo hoo!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I sent in my park permit today and assuming all goes well, I hope to place the first 3 out of 6 the weekend of the 21st. The other 3 parks do not have any wooded areas so I will be looking for alternatives from the traditional cache. I'm going to try to avoid doing virtuals, so you'll just have to wait and see what I come up with.

I think that once we have support from the City it will be much easier to convince other agencies to give us permission to places caches. I'd be happy to look into any and all surrounding areas for cache placement.

I myself am somewhat of a stickler that you should get permission -before- placing a cache.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A