Found TBs that had not been logged

Dunmowin

Today, I found two TBs that had not been logged as being in the cache, (even though the previous logger said he/she dropped them there) I collected them and have logged that I have "discovered' them, but they are not appearing on my list of TBs in my possession. What have I done wrong?

Today, I found two TBs that had not been logged as being in the cache, (even though the previous logger said he/she dropped them there) I collected them and have logged that I have "discovered' them, but they are not appearing on my list of TBs in my possession. What have I done wrong?

Where does it show the TBs to be?

In the hands of ??? - And who? another cacher, or the owner?

Or in another cache?

WHEN were they dropped? Has the previous cacher had a chance to log on-line?

To get TBs into your inventory you need to either RETRIEVE from a cache they are listed as being in, or GRAB from another cacher, or a cache they are not in.

DISCOVER is when you see the TB but dont have it in your possession. eg you've seen it in someone else's possession, or you saw it in a cache, but left it there.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Where does it show the TBs to be?

In the hands of ??? - And who? another cacher, or the owner?

Or in another cache?

WHEN were they dropped? Has the previous cacher had a chance to log on-line?

To get TBs into your inventory you need to either RETRIEVE from a cache they are listed as being in, or GRAB from another cacher, or a cache they are not in.

DISCOVER is when you see the TB but dont have it in your possession. eg you've seen it in someone else's possession, or you saw it in a cache, but left it there.

Thanks for your prompt reply Bear and Ragged, to answer your questions.....

Friendship Tap LOG 10 Jan 2015 "crowe fam" retrieved it from "Fishing for ?"

Dolphin Tag Log LOG 10 Jan 2015 "crowe fam" retrieved it from "Ten Bob"

Today, I found both of the above travel bugs in "Bill's Aquarium", where "Crowe fam" stated he dropped off two TBs on 11 Jan 2015 - the cacher has had plenty of time to log his drop off.

Ok, so I should not have discovered them, Should I have "grabbed it"

Thanks for your prompt reply Bear and Ragged, to answer your questions.....

Friendship Tap LOG 10 Jan 2015 "crowe fam" retrieved it from "Fishing for ?"

Dolphin Tag Log LOG 10 Jan 2015 "crowe fam" retrieved it from "Ten Bob"

Today, I found both of the above travel bugs in "Bill's Aquarium", where "Crowe fam" stated he dropped off two TBs on 11 Jan 2015 - the cacher has had plenty of time to log his drop off.

Ok, so I should not have discovered them, Should I have "grabbed it"

OK.

GRAB, VISIT the cache you found them in, then continue the journey. :)

Nice if you could mention in the TB log that it was found in the cache you found them in.

Nice if you could GRAB/Visit on the date you did so. (Helps if the previous cacher decides to back log their drop. However, as the TB is no longer in their inventory they cant DROP!)

* I'd keep a note of the TB tracking numbers, at least until the TBs had a few more cachers listed after me...

Discovered, in your case, isn't necessarily wrong. It does at least alert the TB owner that the TB is still 'out there'

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Discovered, in your case, isn't necessarily wrong. It does at least alert the TB owner that the TB is still 'out there'

Well, no, it's not "wrong" but it doesn't tell what you really did. You really "grabbed" them and you need to log that before you'll be able to log that you "dropped" them in another cache. Logging another "discovered" is not going to help.

Crowe fam are not n00bs and have logged other trackables. They should know better than not logging their drop off.

Well, no, it's not "wrong" but it doesn't tell what you really did. You really "grabbed" them and you need to log that before you'll be able to log that you "dropped" them in another cache. Logging another "discovered" is not going to help.

Some people (not me, as it turns out) advocate waiting before you grab a TB from someone, the theory being that someone is just not able to log the drop yet but will soon. Although I generally advocate the grab approach that NanCycle is describing, I also recognize the ideas behind delaying a grab to see if there's soon a drop, since that allows the dropper to log exactly what happened.

So if one decides to not grab right away, it's an excellent idea to discover the TB and explain in the discover log where you found it and that you now have it and are waiting for a drop. By doing that, you've left a trail others can use to remind you if you've forgotten you were waiting.

In other words, although I gather you weren't discovering the TB for that reason, logging a discover was a perfectly fine thing to do, and many would advocate it.

Thanks to the other responses you understand why the discover didn't put the TB in your inventory. When you're tired of waiting for the drop -- and I personally have no problem with "I'm already tired of waiting!" -- you know you should grab the TB. And someone has already mentioned the very important detail that if you grab the TB, you should have it visit the cache you found it in, either by editing your Found log or by filing a note (although be sure to back date the note to the day you found the TB so the visit in the TB's log shows up on the right day).

And, just to be clear, the discover is an independent action, so don't worry about deleting it or anything even if you need to grab the coin. (You could delete it if you want, I'm just saying there's no particular reason to, and mainly that there's no reason to think it was a mistake you don't want anyone to see.)

Thanks all for your replies. I have now "grabbed" the TBs from Crowe fam and placed them in my inventory. Crowe fam had plenty of time to log the drop off (he found the cache on 11th Jan. All is good now, appreciate your assistance.

edit: I just like to ensure TBs are treated correctly. I see so many caches where tbs are supposed to be, but are no longer, and have not for a long time, including some that I have dropped off. Very frustrating part of this fabulous game.

dunmowin

Edited by Dunmowin