Isle of Rum lost Caches

stewmitch

Hi All.

New to the forum so hope this is posted in the right forum.

I am planning another trip to Rum in June

When I first searched I found 5 or 6 on the Isle including a couple near the Bothies on the Isle. However I can now only find one cache. Does anyone know where the caches have gone.........they dont appear as archived.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by stewmitch

Hi All.

New to the forum so hope this is posted in the right forum.

I am planning another trip to Rum in June

When I first searched I found 5 or 6 on the Isle including a couple near the Bothies on the Isle. However I can now only find one cache. Does anyone know where the caches have gone.........they dont appear as archived.

Thanks in advance.

Archived caches don't appear on the maps.

B.

The nearest active cache to the one active one on the island is 7.6 miles southeast (on a neighbouring island)

All the other caches that were on this island are showing as archived - most were by the same cache owner and were archived last month.

That's a shame - I noticed the caches one our trip to Skye last year and a boat trip to Canna suggested that Rum would be an interesting place to cache and bothy.

However, I notice that the cache owner is based in Germany and hasn't really done much caching recently so I suspect that the containers are actually still in place - you can always go and find them and log your finds. If they've been removed then you'll still have had an enjoyable trip to Rum.

I have been to Rum for the last 3 years without knowing about geocaching so I was looking forward to picking up the caches this year.

Really disappointed they have gone, I cant even find the details so I can look anyway.

I remember there was one inside the Dibdil bothy but can not remember the others, I will do the puzzle one anyway and hope someone has the details for the others and I can check on them. Not going until June.

I have been to Rum for the last 3 years without knowing about geocaching so I was looking forward to picking up the caches this year.

Really disappointed they have gone, I cant even find the details so I can look anyway.

I remember there was one inside the Dibdil bothy but can not remember the others, I will do the puzzle one anyway and hope someone has the details for the others and I can check on them. Not going until June.

If you know who the cache owners was, you can look on their profile.

Archived caches will show there.

Here's a link to one of the archived caches. They all got the chop in December. When I'm up there in July I hope to speak to SNH again about replacing them, or at least picking up the remains to avoid geolitter. Have a great trip.

I'm not sure how loud I should say this, but the OP might be interested to know that there's nothing stopping someone from logging any archived caches that he might find. That's what Gackt is talking about, but I thought he might have been too subtle...