SCUBA Cache?

Guest loafah

Guest loafah

Hey fellow northeasters,

I am thinking about planting an underwater geocache near my home in Maine as soon as the ocean melts. I was just wondering if anyone would look for it. It would be on the wreck of a 30' fishing boat that sank in a harbor on Bailey Island. It is a really neat and little known dive site less than 3 hours from Boston. It can be reached by boat or from shore (a little bit of a swim though) and it is in about 40' of water. I would put the cache in a waterproof otter box and hide it in a place that would not require you to go inside the hull. The GPS coordinates would enable you to anchor your boat right above the wreck or get a good compass bearing from shore. Any suggestions? I don't want to go to a lot of work if no one will look for the cache, but I think it would be a really cool location.

loafah

Guest cache_ninja

howdy,

cool idea. I think eventually someone will indeed look for it, you should definately do it. Right now there don't seem to be too many people in Maine geocaching, but that might just be becuase of the winter. Regardless, this thing has been growing really fast, and many boating/watersports people have gps units, and once they hear about your cache, I'm sure someone will be excited to give it a try. Just don't get disappointed if its not visited right away, eventually, someone will visit it. Besides, if its a spot you really enjoy anyway, it can't hurt to take another trip there right?

c/n

I'd love to try the new and exciting caches, but have only gone diving while on vacation in Hawaii.

So ... my thoughts would be to find a local dive shop that you are comfortable with and talk to them about teaming up so that novices can get involved too.

I would think they would be fairly receptive as it's basically free advertising for them.

Just a thought.

- Dekaner (dekaner@outeractive.com)