Tolkien & Token quilt...one for you

DxChallenged

Hey! The first geoquilt was a wonderful project all the way around! I really enjoyed every minute of it!

So now after a bit of a lapse, I am working on a a new project.

Tolkien/Token quilt....ok I just couldn't help it the play on words is too cool.....

For the past several months I have have been reading the Tolkien books. Then I decided that it would be great to do a quilt along with this.....So to correspond with each of the 4 books that go with the series (The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings) I have made 4 blocks that once singed, will come together and form a Tolkien quilt.........One block is now in the Fellowship of the Ring Cache in Erie PA......

Another block will go in our Hobbit cache...to be posted on May 7th...butterfly girls 11th birthday (I like how her bday related to Bilbo celebrating his 11ty first birthday at the start of the Lord of the Rings). This will be placed in our home town of Akron, NY.

Then 2 more blocks will go in the caches that correspond to the remaining Lord of the Rings books: The Twin Towers and the Return of the King...to be posted in PA when the movies are released......

The Token part is this.... for each cacher that signs all 4 blocks....I will send their own signature quilt......100 squares sewn into a little quilt(it should measure somewhere around 36" to 40" and be suitable to hang on a wall or lay on a small table) and ready for you collect signatures while on your own adventures.....There will be a virtual cache that corresponds to this.

I've already started cutting little squares and gathering extra material....

I posted this project on the General thread earlier. I'm hoping that people with frequent flyer miles will use them to discover some most interesting caches and perhaps be a bit more enticed by "earning" their own quilt once they have completed the series of 4.

We in the Northeast will not have as far to go. Plus I'm wondering if it will be possible to get a large response....Hey! I'm the one whose doing the sewing......my saving grace is that the last cache won't be placed for at least 2 years....I hope! Hey what's the most that I could get...10...maybe 20....perhaps more than 20...eekkk I'd better oil up the machine!!

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

As DX mentioned, Each of the 4 squares will be left in one of 4 caches.

The first caches is currently out and was already posted to a thread before this project was conceived but here it is again:

The Fellowship of the Ring

Another will go in DX's hobbit cache to be placed May 7.

The last two will go in the Two Towers Cache (early 2003) and the Return of the King cache (early 2004). You then have one year after the Return of the King is placed to get all the caches.

True it may take a little time and work but your going on 4 of the best caches in the Northeast and your getting your own signature Quilt, can't beat that.

Excellent, the tolkien Quilt cache has just been approved, here's the link:

The Tolkien Quilt CacheLordoftheringsquiltall.jpe

I was an earlier visitor to the "Fellowship" cache and the quilt idea was just forming then. It was not available to sign when I completed the cache.

I just know I will find a way to complete all the caches related to this but I want to sign the "Fellowship" part too.

Will future Tolkein caches take me near the "Fellowship" cache again so I can return and sign the quilt?

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

I was an earlier visitor to the "Fellowship" cache and the quilt idea was just forming then. It was not available to sign when I completed the cache.

I just know I will find a way to complete all the caches related to this but I want to sign the "Fellowship" part too.

Will future Tolkein caches take me near the "Fellowship" cache again so I can return and sign the quilt?

Smoochnme

Hi Smoochnme,

Yep the third cache (I have the spot picked out already) Return of the King will be placed in Erie, probably 15-20 minutes from the Fellowship.

So worse case scenario when you make the drive up in a few years for that one, you can swing over and sign the Fellowship. I'm not exactly sure where The Two Towers is going, though I have some ideas, all around 1 to 2 hour drive from Erie.

If for some reason the Return of the King can not be placed where I plan (it's got a perfect ending spot) DX mentioned in the past a way to sign an transfer sheet or something that could be ironed on, so either way we'll make sure your signature get's on it. I'm not about to make one of the original finders and best story tellers drive 5 hours just to sign it.

Ohh an MissJenn I can't recomend Tolkien enough.

MikeChim

I was hoping one of the future caches would be near to the current cache. I may even get back sooner since I liked Presque Isle so much.

Just finished re-reading "The Two Towers" again and just had to start "The Return of the King"

Dittos to Miss Jenn! Start reading um! icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

I was hoping one of the future caches would be near to the current cache. I may even get back sooner since I liked Presque Isle so much.

Just finished re-reading "The Two Towers" again and just had to start "The Return of the King"

Dittos to Miss Jenn! Start reading um! icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

Smoochnme....hey so since you appear to be one of the first to have done the Fellowship Cache and to be planning to complete the remaining 3....

Tell me what are your 3 favorite colors and a favorite pastime..........Seems to me fishing?

I ask because I have been adding to my stash of fabrics lately and I thought that it might be nice to add some personal touches to the signature quilts for the Tolkien Virtual.......

I'de like to work one up so that I can post it on this thread and people can get an idea of what they will look like........How about if I post a picture of what yours could look like?

I just finished the extra touches on the Hobbit cache.....I plan on submitting it the night of the 6th so that it will be up and ready on the 7th...Right now the area that it is in is filled with trillium

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

Smoochnme....hey so since you appear to be one of the first to have done the Fellowship Cache and to be planning to complete the remaining 3....

Tell me what are your 3 favorite colors and a favorite pastime..........Seems to me fishing?

I ask because I have been adding to my stash of fabrics lately and I thought that it might be nice to add some personal touches to the signature quilts for the Tolkien Virtual.......

I'de like to work one up so that I can post it on this thread and people can get an idea of what they will look like........How about if I post a picture of what yours could look like?

I just finished the extra touches on the Hobbit cache.....I plan on submitting it the night of the 6th so that it will be up and ready on the 7th...Right now the area that it is in is filled with trillium

Dx

Dx:

How wonderful of you to make that offer!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I actually have two favorite tri-color schemes. Blue, Green, Tan (earthtones) and Purple, Green, and Gold. I have numerous interests, but my number one activity is fishing...specifically fly-fishing for trout. I Would love to see some sneak previews!

The enthusiasm you and Mike have for this project is contageous! As soon as your cache hits the web page, you can bet a plan will take shape for me to get there!

Best Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

quote:

Dx

Dx:

How wonderful of you to make that offer!!!

I actually have two favorite tri-color schemes. Blue, Green, Tan (earthtones) and Purple, Green, and Gold. I have numerous interests, but my number one activity is fishing...specifically fly-fishing for trout. I Would love to see some sneak previews!

The enthusiasm you and Mike have for this project is contageous! As soon as your cache hits the web page, you can bet a plan will take shape for me to get there!

Best Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

So you're not going to believe this......I have material with trout on it!

Whenever I go on vacation I try to pick up interesting bits of fabric....I found the fish piece while in NC.

I started sewing some of the blocks today...but won't get any more done until next week. I am on my way out the door to go on a whale watch with my son and 100 other 6th graders. I just got the zip code of the place we're staying at so I'm hoping to do at least one cache while there....NOt sure though as the teacher has a marathon site seeing trip planned.......

Stay tuned

Dx

quote:

Now I'm really excited!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

goldfish.gif

quote:

Now I'm really excited!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

goldfish.gif

yippee!! THE HOBBIT - BAG END CACHE is up and running.....with a picture hand colored by Butterfly girl, posted on her birthday.....and even music......you just gotta check it out......

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

We put the best prizes we had...a small bag of silver, some amber, current CD, ribbon for the first finder......and one of the Tolkien quilt squares....My quilt teacher said that it is some of the best work that I have done so far.....

And also this is one in a series of 4... those who complete all 4 get a signature quilt of their own (small....36" or so....husband was getting a bit woriied...could see me making a ton of large quilts and got nervous......hey their won't be many that can finish all four...maybe a handful?)

Ya think icon_confused.gif

Guess I'de better get sewing!

DxChallgned

yippee!! THE HOBBIT - BAG END CACHE is up and running.....with a picture hand colored by Butterfly girl, posted on her birthday.....and even music......you just gotta check it out......

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

We put the best prizes we had...a small bag of silver, some amber, current CD, ribbon for the first finder......and one of the Tolkien quilt squares....My quilt teacher said that it is some of the best work that I have done so far.....

And also this is one in a series of 4... those who complete all 4 get a signature quilt of their own (small....36" or so....husband was getting a bit woriied...could see me making a ton of large quilts and got nervous......hey their won't be many that can finish all four...maybe a handful?)

Ya think icon_confused.gif

Guess I'de better get sewing!

DxChallgned

Dx sent me this picture of the quit she is making when I finish the Tolkien caches.

I'm flattered that she has gone ahead and done this for me.

I'll be going for the Bag-End cache as soon as I return from Minnesota.

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

Dx sent me this picture of the quit she is making when I finish the Tolkien caches.

I'm flattered that she has gone ahead and done this for me.

I'll be going for the Bag-End cache as soon as I return from Minnesota.

Regards,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"