How Do I Tell 500 Ft Apart?

mrsheatonsclass

First, caches have to be 528 feet apart, not 500. It's .10 of a mile. And yes, the reviewer will be enforcing that last 28 feet.

Second, what I do when I'm unsure about proximity to another cache (not usually a problem around here, though), is once I have obtained my coordinates I enter them in Google Earth (along with the coordinates of the existing cache) and use the measuring tool to check the distance. I know Google Earth's imagery can be off a little bit, but I'll usually make sure I have at least 550-600 feet to be on the safe side.

You can use the Boulter utility to see the distance between 2 sets of coords.

http://boulter.com/gps/distance/

When I'm in the field placing, I NEVER try to put a cache less than .12 miles from any other cache, or any other location where I'm planning a cache.

So you decide where Cache #1 goes, take that waypoint, save it, then load it as a "go to". Don't even think about trying to place the next one until you see .12 miles back to your Cache #1 waypoint.

This buffer of .02 miles (from the minimum distance of .10 miles, 528ft), allows for the gps error at each end of that reading, around +- 30 ft or 60ft total, with a bit of a buffer to let you shift things over time as conditions change.

You should have all of the existing caches in the area loaded into your gps, including the stages of multi-caches, the finals of puzzles, any Wherigo finals. If you don't know about those, at least look at the Geocaching.com map of the area. The more staged caches you see within a couple of miles of your proposed cache locations, the higher the risk you'll be too close to one of them.