special character in file name

gworol

After loading 2400 caches in to my GPSmap62 and my wife's Oregon 550 neither GPS would turn on.

I was suspicious of a cache named Étang de boue because of the special character.

Somehow I got the Oregon 550 to go in to mass storage mode, removed the caches and reloaded without Étang de boue. It now works fine.

I can't get my mmap62 to do it. Is there some way to get a map62 to start in something like safe mode?

After loading 2400 caches in to my GPSmap62 and my wife's Oregon 550 neither GPS would turn on.

I was suspicious of a cache named Étang de boue because of the special character.

Somehow I got the Oregon 550 to go in to mass storage mode, removed the caches and reloaded without Étang de boue. It now works fine.

I can't get my mmap62 to do it. Is there some way to get a map62 to start in something like safe mode?

I use a Delorme PN60, when the send to GPS function is used any special characters will drive that thing nuts. Something about a hexadecimal issue 1A.

But if a pocket query is done and loaded by drag and drop the special character issue is resolved. The hex issues 1A is not allowed to happen.

Try running a pocket query on geocaching.com and sending it to your e-mail address and drag it to your unit. Maybe Garmin has the same issue with hexadecimal 1A also.

I don't know Garmin units but it may be worth a try.

Turning GPSr off and plugging it in to the computer while the GPSMap62 is off didn't work?

If nothing else works, try a master reset - it won't delete GPX files though, but it will wipe out your settings. So I'd say it has a low likelihood of success, try it only as a last resort.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={94841fa0-ca0c-11e0-cf56-000000000000}

Edited by Chrysalides