SUGGESTION: Define a route of specific points

honymand

It would be nice if you could define a route by selecting a list of caches, waymarks and custom coordinates. It should be possible to view the route on a map (just connecting the points by straight lines...) and make a route public. This way you can set up a nice walk (as a service to other cachers).

http://www.everytrail.com has something vaguely similar but a lot of it doesn't work (since they were purchased by TripAdvisor), and anyway the Everytrail site does not involve anything with caches.

What I am looking for is in fact quite a bit simpler than the Everytrail site - just a list of caches, waymarks and custom coordinates - and then view that on a map and share with others.

Best regards,

Hans Olav

PS: If someone is ín doubt whether this suggestion is at all OK please visit the previous post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=324249&st=0&p=5404032&fromsearch=1entry5404032

It's a reasonable request, but if you want it now the Geocaching Map Enhancements greasemonkey script will allow you to do this on the geocaching.com maps page. You can plot a route linking up your chosen caches, and any intermediate points, then save the route as a .gpx file which you could upload to your GPS.

Thank you, but what I am looking for is not so much the ability to create a route for myself, but to create a route to share with others in the same way as I can create lists. A little like lists which can be shown on the map with connected lines (and intermediate points). It's all about sharing the experience :-)

Edited by honymand

It would be nice if you could define a route by selecting a list of caches, waymarks and custom coordinates...

What I am looking for is in fact quite a bit simpler than the Everytrail site - just a list of caches, waymarks and custom coordinates - and then view that on a map and share with others.

Like you, I've had much trouble with Everytrail lately. GPX tracks don't seem to upload for the last month or two.

I use good old Mapsource (though I suppose one could use Basecamp) to create weekly caching routes for our 'team', and pass the *.gdb file along (along with just the *.gpx for those that can't deal with that format). That also allows me to add 'custom coordinates' for things like starting back out in the middle of a multi or sites that require visits for puzzle information but won't be the 'final'.