Garmin Plug in not detected

lakeranger151

For the last couple of months Rosie29 and I have been unable to download caches from your site to our eTrex10 and etrex20 GPSr's. Problem probably started after we loaded an update to Windows. We both use a notebook, 2 different notebooks, with Windows 7 Starter. We both use Interenet Explorer. I did download Chrome but have the same problem. The Garmin Communicator Plugin is listed in our Programs. I can load caches to my GPS via my GSAK program so the plugin is on my computer. Your website is not detecting/ not compatible with the Garmin plugin. Please help!!

I reported this problem to Garmin thinking it was an issue with their plugin. They tested and were able to duplicate this problem using IE11 and suggested that geocaching.com needs an update to their page. See Garmin's response below:

Thank you for your reply.

I am able to duplicate the issue you describe in IE11. However, I am not able to duplicate it in Chrome or Firefox.

In Chrome, I receive this error message initially, but (by design) Chrome blocks the plugin from running on the page. Once I follow the instructions included in our correspondence below in the device detection window that appears (Choose Always run on this site, then refresh the page), it works.

Since the plugin works correctly in IE11 on all Garmin-hosted sites, I suspect geocaching.com simply needs to update their implementation of our plugin on their page for it to work correctly.

I would recommend contacting geocaching.com to inform them of this issue so that they may correct it, and for the time being use one of the other two browsers that are known to work.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

With Best Regards,

While I have an alternative browser that I can set up (Chrome, I prefer to use Internet Explorer and would really like to have a fix for this issue.

Here are the instructions from Garmin for setting up the Chrome browser:

Chrome blocks plugins by default, and will prompt to allow them on pages that use plugins. On these prompts, choose Always run on this site. Refreshing the page should then allow the plugin to load. To allow the plugin to load without prompting on each page:

1. Open Chrome

2. In the address bar, type about:plugins

3. Press Enter (PC) or Return (Mac)

4. Locate Garmin Communicator Plugin

5. Select the Always Allowed box

6. Restart chrome

Regards,

oboegary & delaware hiker

Edited by oboegary & delaware hiker

I was told to go to compatibility view settings, add the website - no effect

...try a different browser, tried Chrome - no effect.

deleted the plugin and reinstalled - no effect

again, what is frustrating is that it worked fine UNTIL I downloaded the newest version of the plug in.

I guess the version is 3.9 that is showing, not 4.2.