How to track distance walked

timandweze

We just did a mystery cache involving walking on a compass heading from specific point for so many feet. Is there a way to set a starting point and track how far you have walked? We were in a group and pacing it off came up with a variety of distances. We use c:geo on our phones or a Magellan GC Explorist if that is helpful to the answer. Thanks.

Don't forget that the cache's posted coordinates are sometimes the starting point, in which case you don't need to create a waypoint, you just keep the cache dialed in and use it. (It sounds like that wasn't the case with this one, but I thought I'd mention it.)

In addition to the techniques described in this thread already (pacing off the distance, projecting a waypoint on a phone app, projecting a waypoint on a GPS receiver, walking until the distance back to the original waypoint matches), I've also used various tools to project waypoints, both online tools and the Mac version of FizzyCalc.

I think that pretty much covers all the options.