KCMO Department of Parks and Recreation

cortneyofeden

Does anyone know their opinion of geocaching in general, and if it's OK to place cache in their parks?

I've tread repeatedly and without success to contact them to find out, and am hoping someone else might be more efficient than I am at getting a response out of them. I've even e-mailed the Parks Commissioner, but have yet to hear back.

Also, if anyone knows of any land management groups in the greater Kansas City metro area which have policies regarding geocaching, can you please e-mail me? I'd like to assemble a reference webpage for geocachers in the area.

Thanks!

-Cortney (cortneyNOSPAM@karst.org)

I've gotten further, and at least now have a name and number to call for the manager of the "North" parks.

Her name is April McCrary, and her phone number is 513.9585.

I've left her a voicemail message, and hope to hear back from her soon.

My current plans are to:

1) find out what the KCMO Parks policy is around geocaching

2) get permission to place caches in the parks she manages

3) organize a clean up of Tiffany Springs Park. That place is a mess, and has been used extensively as dumping grounds. There is already one cache in that park, and plenty of space for more. By helping to clean it up, we can help to forge a positive relationship with the KCMO Parks. This is the most trashed park I have yet to see. It seems that they are trying to help it a little bit, since it used to (I know of as recently as March '02) have open trails to ATVs, and they're no longer allowed. They've also put up posts which prevent vehicles from entering the trails.

I've got some good news!

I just got off of the phone with April, the manager of some of the parks up north. Took just a brief description, and she remembered what geocaaching is. She's 100% OK with caches in her park! icon_biggrin.gif

She's delighted at the idea of doing a clean-up of Tiffany Springs Park, and will even send her staff to help out. I just need to pick a date (I'll be posting about this soon, I'm sure). This is a fabulous way for us to get a good name in the Kansas City area, and I hope that we can do this soon. Unfortunately, I have a big "event" coming up at work in a few weeks, so it'll have to wait until reasonably after that to happen.

In the meantime, I have some further contact information for a couple of the other parks and just need to contact them to get an OK from them.

For others' reference, here's more contact info:

Platte County Parks 464-2232

Gladstone Parks 436-2200