How to enter coords properly?

kudjo24

Greetings!

So I'm using coords for this example from the following cache: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4KFE8_carlyle-lake-multi-cache-tour

Mostly irrelevant really, since it's multi-cache, but just listing one I'm workin on.

The resulting coords listed at the location for the next stage were (as written on log): N 38°37.118' W 089°21.270' .

Problem is, my Magellan eXplorist GC only has three two-digit fields. Thinking this wouldn't matter really, I entered in the coords as 38 37 11 N, 89 21 27 W, also listed as N38°37'11", W89°21'27".

As you can guess, I spent the next hour rummaging about in some thicket that no one in their right mind would've hidden a next-stage geocache. After cross-referencing with Google Maps later I see that Magellan's N38°37'11", W89°21'27" is translated at the end as 11.0" and 27.0", whilst the real coords are translated as 38°37'07.1"N , 89°21'16.2"W.....and according to Google, yes, they are in very different places.

So, in an attempt to understand this beginners mistake, where do I start in properly converting whatever the "37.118" decimal coords are, to coords that actually fit in my Magellan waypoints??

Help would be appreciated, very confused, thank you!!!!

Edited by kudjo24

Check the settings. You should be able to choose between decimal degrees (e.g. 38.618633), decimal minutes (e.g. 38 37.118) and degree, minutes, seconds (e.g. 38 37' 7").

Alternatively, you can convert 38 37.188 into degrees, minutes, seconds that's being used now.

37.118 - take the decimal portion and multiply it by 60. 0.118 * 60 = 7.08 seconds.

Edited by Chrysalides

As you can guess, I spent the next hour rummaging about in some thicket that no one in their right mind would've hidden a next-stage geocache. After cross-referencing with Google Maps later I see that Magellan's N38°37'11", W89°21'27" is translated at the end as 11.0" and 27.0", whilst the real coords are translated as 38°37'07.1"N , 89°21'16.2"W.....and according to Google, yes, they are in very different places.

So, in an attempt to understand this beginners mistake, where do I start in properly converting whatever the "37.118" decimal coords are, to coords that actually fit in my Magellan waypoints??

Help would be appreciated, very confused, thank you!!!!

Yep. Same numbers, different places!

While checking the settings, check you have the correct Datum set as well. It can also lead you to the wrong location, even with the other settings and numbers being right!

(WGS84)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

From the main screen select Tools, then Settings, then Units. In that menu you should find the coordinate and map datum. It should be HDD MM.MMM (may be shown as HDD MM.MM). Map datum should be WGS84.

I've written a review of the GC, explaining how the features work (mainly for geocaching). You may find it useful. It's on the home page of my UK Info and Resources website - link under my signature.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Edited by Graculus