SmartPhones: Which App Do You Use?

GeoCacher.43

I've used several and here are a few thoughts:

Official GC app:

pros: fully functional (obviously), visually appealing and clear (except for the "details" screen)

cons: no live mapping, no bookmark lists or personal notes, "details screen is just run-on text in many cases and not organized like the website pages

Cachesense:

pros: highly functional, live mapping, personal notes, bookmark lists

cons: cluttered and a bit difficult to figure out, crashes occasionally

c:geo:

pros: live mapping, offline storage, personal notes, quick updates (see below), reads coordinates from personal notes on the website and automatically converts them into waypoints (this last one is VERY useful)

cons: no bookmark lists, "breaks" or loses functionality with website updates

One thing I've not seen in any app and wish I could do was edit a log from one of the apps. Every now and then I miss a typo or put in the wrong log type and end up having to log into the website from a PC to change it (or go to the very mobile-unfriendly site on my phone and try to do it there). Maybe it's a security issue or is difficult to implement...but I would love to see this added.

Edited by J Grouchy

I've used several and here are a few thoughts:

Official GC app:

pros: fully functional (obviously), visually appealing and clear (except for the "details" screen)

cons: no live mapping, no bookmark lists or personal notes, "details screen is just run-on text in many cases and not organized like the website pages

Cachesense:

pros: highly functional, live mapping, personal notes, bookmark lists

cons: cluttered and a bit difficult to figure out, crashes occasionally

c:geo:

pros: live mapping, offline storage, personal notes, quick updates (see below), reads coordinates from personal notes on the website and automatically converts them into waypoints (this last one is VERY useful)

cons: no bookmark lists, "breaks" or loses functionality with website updates

One thing I've not seen in any app and wish I could do was edit a log from one of the apps. Every now and then I miss a typo or put in the wrong log type and end up having to log into the website from a PC to change it (or go to the very mobile-unfriendly site on my phone and try to do it there). Maybe it's a security issue or is difficult to implement...but I would love to see this added.

Editing logs: Cachesense can do that. Cachesense will also use the personal note to update the coordinates. Very useful for puzzles and multis. NeonGeo will update the coordinates in this way as well.

The best thing I love about Cachesense is its very powerful filtering ability. I almost never find micros anymore. That alone makes me so happy.

Whenever c:Geo is discussed, it should be mentioned that it is a screen scraping app, and violates the geocaching.com terms of service that you agreed to when you signed up for your account.