Question about Tasks

CWillyPngn

Hi,

I’m in currently building my first Wherigo adventure using both the Wherigo\\kit (for messages or inputs) and Earwigo (to add items and task). The cartridge consists of 10 zones of mostly messages or questions and at certain stages, items has to be picked up and be given to the characters in a different zone later on.

Using the Earwigo tutorial, I was able to set up a task to guide the player from zone to zone with no problem. However I would like to set up a task to indicate that they must complete the task of picking up the item and giving it to the correct character before they can move on to the next zone. How would I do this?

Thanks!

Create the task and mark it as invisible.

When the user enters the zone with your item, mark the task as visible.

An item can be set to be used with a specific character object. (I don't have Earwigo on my work computer, so can't provide you with screen shots.) This is associated with commands for that particular item and character (make the command invisible until the item is within the player's inventory or just check for the item's current location). You can set the task as complete within the command event you create for this. In short, you'll define a command and say it can only work on certain objects. You will then see that command's name appear under the list of possible events for that item/character.

Many thanks for your help! I was able to set up the items and the characters as you suggested. This is what I have so far…

Under ITEMS, I set up a command to “pick up” as follows:

PICK UP -> “Move an element Item: Carrots=> Player”

Under CHARACTER, I set up a command of “Give to” as follows:

GIVE TO-> “Move an element Item: Carrots=> Character: Rabbit (same location)”

Now if the Carrots were correctly given to the rabbit, under which tab would I indicate that the task (Feed the Rabbit) is completed? The way I had it set up previously was to place it under CHARACTER.

GIVE TO-> “Move an element Item: Carrots=> Character: Rabbit (same location)”

If FEED THE RABBIT

Set value: Task: Feed the rabbit! Complete=> True

Display dialog or message: message: “The Rabbit is quite pleased”

Else

Display dialog or message: “ The rabbit is very unhappy”

I was thinking was that once the item is moved to the correct character, it triggers the task of “Feed the Rabbit” as being completed which triggers the message “The Rabbit is quite pleased”. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Your idea is good but you are hoping for to much automatic events.

I was thinking was that once the item is moved to the correct character, it triggers the task of “Feed the Rabbit” as being completed which triggers the message “The Rabbit is quite pleased”. Is this correct?

Once you leave the kit you have to create all actions yourself.

I have attached an Earwigo cartridge. It can not be played but it has the required code in it (look under the carrot item events). (Send me mail via my Groundspeak profile if the forum software eats the attachment.)

There is also a minor problem with your concept. You have no event that can trigger the unhappy rabbit sequence.

You can create one more command for the carrot that is labeled "Do not feed the rabbit". The event that is now available for programming can be used to display the Message of the unhappy rabbit.

Also move the carrot to the rabbit(pocket). Moving it to rabbit(location) will drop it on the ground next to the rabbit.

;-)

cartFeedTheRabbit.txt

Edited by Geo-Magician

I have attached an Earwigo cartridge. It can not be played but it has the required code in it (look under the carrot item events). (Send me mail via my Groundspeak profile if the forum software eats the attachment.)

I forgot to mention that you have to use Earwigo's Restore Operation to load my cartridge to your account ;-)

Moving an item to a character won't trigger an event. In fact, you should be moving an item to nil the moment the item is not needed (such as the rabbit consuming the carrots).

Also, when dealing with rabbits, don't forget the Monty Python variety.

Maybe I should include the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch as one of the items? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Your idea is good but you are hoping for to much automatic events.

Once you leave the kit you have to create all actions yourself.

There is also a minor problem with your concept. You have no event that can trigger the unhappy rabbit sequence.

You can create one more command for the carrot that is labeled "Do not feed the rabbit". The event that is now available for programming can be used to display the Message of the unhappy rabbit.

Also move the carrot to the rabbit(pocket). Moving it to rabbit(location) will drop it on the ground next to the rabbit.

;-)

This is awesome! I had no issues uploading the cartridge.

Looking at your codes, I think I was making this way harder than I needed it to be. So I can simply use the items (which includes the commands) to play out the sequence of event that I need to happen.

Thanks creating this file! I will try test this out on my cartridge tonight.

Hi all:

I tried out the new file on my cartridge last and it works very nice! The Task (Feed the Rabbit) appears once I arrive at the correct zone where the carrot is located. Thanks for sending me this.

However I notice that I have two new problems. When I was testing the cartridge on my iPhone, I noticed that the items (Carrot) and the commands (Pick up) are not appearing under the “You see” tab. Is any reason for this? I have the item set in the correct container and it is labeled as visible.

My second problem that I noticed is that the tasks (i.e. Pick up carrot→ Feed Rabbit) is working independently of the messages and the inputs. The player can pretty much ignore the tasks to complete the Wherigo, which I do not want to happen! That said, do I need to create an expression and or an IF/ELSE statement that triggers the event to: “Pick up the Carrot”?

Thanks!

Hi all:

However I notice that I have two new problems. When I was testing the cartridge on my iPhone, I noticed that the items (Carrot) and the commands (Pick up) are not appearing under the “You see” tab. Is any reason for this? I have the item set in the correct container and it is labeled as visible.

My second problem that I noticed is that the tasks (i.e. Pick up carrot→ Feed Rabbit) is working independently of the messages and the inputs. The player can pretty much ignore the tasks to complete the Wherigo, which I do not want to happen! That said, do I need to create an expression and or an IF/ELSE statement that triggers the event to: “Pick up the Carrot”?

The magic is to make sure the player can only see some parts of the cartridge (zones). I have put some more work into FeedTheRabbit and updated it to FeedTheRabbitII. Check it out. It is now a complete micro adventure including bonus location for feeding a rabbit extremely well to show the use of if/Then/Else (force feeding rabbits might not be biologically correct but you can't get it all :laughing: )

Use the cartridge added to the post below. Play it in the emulator (http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=tips_and_tricks#testing_your_cartridge) or move zones closer to your home and test out in front of your home.

P.S. Ranger Fox worked some administrator magic to help me out with a wrong file upload in this post. Thank you for that :D

Edited by Geo-Magician
Per the next post, I deleted the file attached to this one.

Items are only visible under the "You see" tab when you are in the zone that has the item in it. You can change this behavior under Zones/Properties/ShowObjects of the zone that contains your item (ShowObjets: OnEnter is the default). I do however advise not to change this default value because it makes a lot of sense to see items only when you are close by.

Once you pick up an item e.g.

Move an element Item:Salad => Player

it vanishes from the "You see" tab and apears in your "Inventory" tab. Now you can see and use it for the rest of the game (or until you remove it from the players inventory).

If you need the item in your possession (that is in your "Inventory") at the beginning of the cartridge you have to move it there when the cartridge starts. Use the above code in the cartridge's Start Event (it is under Cartridge/Events/Start). I have done this for the salad.

This is a bit harder to explain because you are creating the required actions by hiding functions from the human player until he completes the required actions. Look at the "Give to rabbit" command that is part of the Item/Carrots/Properties/Commands. The command is intentionally not enabled when the game starts. This way I prevent that the player from using the command right after he picks up the carrot (with no rabbit around). I enable this command later in the game when the player has walked to the rabbit hole. You can find the enabling code

Set value Command(Item:Carrots)Give to Rabbit:Enabled => true

under Zones/RabbitHole/Events/Enter. This ensures that the chance to feed the rabbit is only there when the player has walked to the rabbit hole.

Edited by Geo-Magician

Hi all:

The magic is to make sure the player can only see some parts of the cartridge (zones). I have put some more work into FeedTheRabbit and updated it to FeedTheRabbitII. Check it out. It is now a complete micro adventure including bonus location for feeding a rabbit extremely well to show the use of if/Then/Else (force feeding rabbits might not be biologically correct but you can't get it all :laughing: )

Use the cartridge added to the post below. Play it in the emulator (http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=tips_and_tricks#testing_your_cartridge) or move zones closer to your home and test out in front of your home.

P.S. Ranger Fox worked some administrator magic to help me out with a wrong file upload in this post. Thank you for that :D

I was tinkering with the cartridge over the weekend and I was able to setup the codes somewhat similar to what you have in your Feed Rabbit II cartridge. Your Feed Rabbit cartridge (and the Earwigo tutorial) made it much clearer for me to figure out how to properly use the IF/Then/Else command.

One issue that I did notice was that I could trigger any of my commands early regardless whether I was in the correct zone or not. So I created an expression “Compare Zone: Zone: Active== true event” to limit this or it would show a dialog that “there’s no rabbit here”. I’m sure there is an easier way program this though.

Thanks for sending file (and for your help)! I 'm looking forwarding in testing your micro adventure in my backyard tonight. :)

Items are only visible under the "You see" tab when you are in the zone that has the item in it. You can change this behavior under Zones/Properties/ShowObjects of the zone that contains your item (ShowObjets: OnEnter is the default). I do however advise not to change this default value because it makes a lot of sense to see items only when you are close by.

Once you pick up an item e.g.

Move an element Item:Salad => Player

it vanishes from the "You see" tab and apears in your "Inventory" tab. Now you can see and use it for the rest of the game (or until you remove it from the players inventory).

If you need the item in your possession (that is in your "Inventory") at the beginning of the cartridge you have to move it there when the cartridge starts. Use the above code in the cartridge's Start Event (it is under Cartridge/Events/Start). I have done this for the salad.

This is a bit harder to explain because you are creating the required actions by hiding functions from the human player until he completes the required actions. Look at the "Give to rabbit" command that is part of the Item/Carrots/Properties/Commands. The command is intentionally not enabled when the game starts. This way I prevent that the player from using the command right after he picks up the carrot (with no rabbit around). I enable this command later in the game when the player has walked to the rabbit hole. You can find the enabling code

Set value Command(Item:Carrots)Give to Rabbit:Enabled => true

under Zones/RabbitHole/Events/Enter. This ensures that the chance to feed the rabbit is only there when the player has walked to the rabbit hole.

For the first issue, what I noticed happening was that the item would show up under the "you see" tab (if I was inside the zone) and then disappear. Other times, it would not show up at all. I went back to the Zones tab and under "show objects" changed it from “On Enter”--> to "On Proximity". It seems to correct that issue.

As for the second problem…That makes sense now. I have all of the commands appearing at the start of the Wherigo, which makes it very tempting for the player to click those extra actions! If I use the codes in “Feed the Rabbit II” then I do not need to bother to use the expression “Compare Zone: Zone: Active== true” and If/then/else command that I mentioned earlier in my previous post.

BTW I have to confess that my Wherigo adventure that I’m creating isn’t about rabbits, but it is about a popular Japanese animation that my kids love. All this talk about rabbits makes it very tempting for me to insert them somewhere in my Wherigo. :D

Thanks for your help!

I took a closer look at your Feed Rabbit II cartridge this afternoon. Everything that you said earlier about the items, the commands and the tasks are slowly starting to make sense to me now. I made some adjustments to my cartridge using your suggestions. I’m looking forward in seeing how it turns out!

Thanks again!