Thinking of an upgrade to Etrex H

The Etrex 10 doesn't accept add-on maps (closest comparable unit to Etrex H), but the Etrex 20 and 30 will. The 20 adds a memory card slot and color screen, while the 30 adds an electronic compass and altimeter. FYI, there are lots of free maps at places like GPS File Depot, including user-created topos. Not sure what your budget is, but the GPSMAP 62S is going for $199 right now on sale (like, right this very second) at places like GPS City. That's a really great price on a great unit (granted, no GLONASS like the Etrex 10/20/30 or newer GPSMAP 64 line). Personally, if it was me, I'd go for the GPSMAP 62S. Probably the biggest bang for the buck at this moment.

I've got the Etrex 20 and I love it. It is reasonably accurate and because it is not a touch screen I can actually see it in the daylight. I've seen them going for as low as $150.

The one feature I wish it had is a way to lock the unit so that buttons don't accidentally get pushed when it is sitting in your pocket.

I took a break from Geocaching a couple of years ago, but now I seem to be getting the urge to get back into it.

I've got an Etrex 20 (had it since Jan 2012), its not had much use during the past couple of years. I recall when I first got it that there were frequent software updates to remedy a number of problems. My question is this - what issue of software is available for the E20 at the moment (mine is running 3.30). Finally, have ALL the s/w problems been resolved, or are there new ones that I'm likely to encounter!

Thanks in anticipation...

You are correct about the qrap accuracy on the satellite page and it does vary. I understand that the cords of what the cache owner posts and where the cache actually is, is 2 different things. My complaint is when you have 2-3 other people standing beside the cache and all their GPS reads from 8-12 ft and my GPS reads 25-30 in the total opposite direction according to my compass. My friend has an Explorist 110 and my niece an Explorist GC, and the other an Etrex 20 all read close to the same. I have had nothing but problems with the ETREX 30 units since I got my first unit. My old school Gramin GPS 12 is more accurate than the 30 guaranteed.

<_<

I have two Etrex H's and I love them, my Etrex 20 stays at home. Oh what a disappointment the 20 turned out to be! Bling but no go!!!

The 20 has a smaller low resolution screen, a really clunky GUI and menu's that just don't make sense and it's soooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow! Ergonomics were marketing led, not user lead.

Don't be fooled like I was with the groovy hype, the 20 is rubbish compared to the excellence of the Etrex H.

Similarly the 30 is a nightmare of failed firmwares, avoid.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy the latest of the 60 series and forget the current Etrex cons as a slick marketing ploy found out.

Seriously, don't waste your time and money with the 10/20/30...

:rolleyes:

~

Edited by Odourless

I have two Etrex H's and I love them, my Etrex 20 stays at home. ~

The Etrex H's can't be that great as you seem unable to find any caches with them :P and do you leave the Etrex 20 at home in the drawer with all your other socks? :ph34r:

I hang glide, like up in the sky!

Haven't yet found a cache there yet but I'll let you know when I do.

:rolleyes:

Oh, the 20 goes into my Glock drawer, not sock drawer...

~

Edited by Odourless

GAGAN: SBAS vs Non-SBAS Receiver

SnipImage-61F49955-0B45-4C20-BE71-FC97CB727136.png

The Garmin yellow handheld unit eTrex-H, (now a discontinued model from Garmin, but used by many for aviation applications, though not certified for such use) features a high sensitivity receiver. With higher sensitivity, it can pick up weak GPS signals, which are too weak for standard sensitivity GPS receivers to pick up. As a result, it receives signals from more satellites, making the reported position very accurate and stable. (with a 3 meter accuracy, you can be assured of landing within 10ft on either side of a runway centreline.

In addition, the Garmin eTrex-H also has a the ability to receive signals from ANY SBAS satellite, and apply the necessary corrections to make the signals more accurate. Considering that the GPS unit already has an accuracy of 3m, it may be unlikely that a greater accuracy may be noticed with the WAAS system, although the corrections will be applied. This is because, closer to the equator, the ionosphere introduces a lot many errors, which disturb the GPS signals. An SBAS attempts to provide a 7 meter accuracy; anything better than that must be treated purely as a bonus!

In the settings, WAAS was enabled, and as a result, the Garmin GPS unit received satellite number 37 (Jan 10) and 39 (Jan 11). A standard non-WAAS / SBAS receiver will not see more than 32 satellites. GPS satellites have a PRN (Pseudo Random Noise code that allows the receiver to decode that specific satellite’s information) between 1 and 32, both inclusive. Any satellite beyond 32 is a SBAS Satellite, part of WAAS, EGNOS (the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service), MSAS (Multi-functional Satellite Augmentation System (Japanese)), or, as will be seen in a few days, the GAGAN system’s. Satellite numbers 37 and 39 are from the European EGNOS, but the corrections received will not be applied by the receiver as the satellite signals specify the area of applicability.

The GAGAN system’s satellites, with a PRN of 127 (GSAT-8) and 128 (GSAT-10), will appear as satellites 40 and 41, respectively, on a GPS receiver. Both satellites transmit the same information. That satellite from which the GPS receiver receives stronger signals will be selected. For Bangalore, this is GSAT-10 (Seen on the GPS receiver as 41).

http://theflyingengineer.com/2014/01/11/preparing-for-gagan-sbas-vs-non-sbas-receiver/

2powlxs.jpg

- The Garmin Etrex 'H' accuracy was rock solid stable at 3 meters!

B)

Edited by Odourless