Cacher visiting St Louis ISO nice hides

fideaux

Hi.

In late March, I'll be visiting STL and want to spend a block of 3 hours looking for nice caches.

Would the kind folk from the Show Me state please suggest a handful of their favorites?

+ Willing to drive ~30 minutes out of town

+ Easy to moderate difficulty - don't want to come back empty handed...

+ Local color and nature important, pretty views if possible

+ Looking for a bit of a scramble too

+ Group of two or three close by would be great

TIA!

Fideaux from New Jersey

What area are you going to be staying in, or passing through from where to where. We have lot's of quality and entertaining caches but the city (St. Louis, St. Louis county, and St. Charles County) are spread out enough that 1/2 hour isn't enough time to go from one end to the other. Give us an idea of the area and well give you some caches.

Rich (RGS)

St. Louis Area Geocachers Assn.

website.

I'll be starting from downtown, and want to return there.

Here's my ideal. At some point Sunday I get in the car and drive for 30 minutes. (Out 44, 64, 70, don't care.) Arrive at the park. Hike a little, climb a hill, see a nice view, while bagging two or three well-maintained medium difficulty caches. Get back in the car and go back downtown. Total time 3 hours.

Mostly I'm after some local color, and getting a feel for the land. This is my first trip to Missouri.

Fideaux

quote:
Originally posted by fideaux:

I'll be starting from downtown, and want to return there.

You're making this difficult on me icon_smile.gif

About 10 minutes West from downtown on I-64 (or HW 40) is forest Park and the zoo. There are several good caches there along with some LB/micros in the zoo.

About 20 minutes West from downtown out I-44 to I-270 there are several areas that have a nice choice of caches and a few hills. Powder Valley, Emmenneger Park, and Laumeier Sculpture park are all within 5 minutes of each other. Another 5 minutes west of I-270 on I-44 is Lone Elk Park which has 5 caches and another 10 minutes West is W. Tyson (at the Meramec River) and Greensfelder (behind 6 Flags), which have enough caches to spend a day or two.

Let me know if you want some specifics and I'll give you some cache ID's.

Rich (RGS)