Quality of Uploaded Photos

I've noticed that when I upload a photo to geocaching.com and then link to it using HTML in my cache listing, that the quality of the photo seems to degrade. Even smaller photos such as 640 X 480 or smaller seem to degrade. For example, if I compare the uploaded photo as displayed in the listing with the same photo viewed locally on my computer with the Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer, I can usually see a difference. The local copy looks better.

I have tried uploading to third party sites such as Photobucket and get the same results. I always resize the photos to 640 or less using Photoshop Elements rather than letting geocaching.com do the resizing.

Why would the quality seem to be poorer in the listing? Does the Web site further compress even smaller photos? Or is it just that the browser renders the photo differently than the photo viewer?

Any suggestions for getting great-looking photos in listings would be much appreciated!

Any suggestions for getting great-looking photos in listings would be much appreciated!

Do you have a photo to show as an example?

Which browser are you using? Is your default zoom set at "100%"? When mine was set at 125%, photos were looking rather lousy. Just one possibility.

If you use some kind of system to speed up web browsing, that could cause it. Or it could be a browser setting. Compare the photos in a different browser.

Here's one I uploaded recently, and although I compressed it some for the upload, the detail is pretty good: http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/log/bb4058a4-2b10-43a2-a3ef-8820095f17d3.jpg

I've uploaded at no more than 800x600 lately. Anything that size or smaller supposedly doesn't get any funny business from the image server.

Two more I uploaded just now. These are 800x600 with 75% JPG compression (very low on the artifacts), and have nice detail on my PC.

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/log/23e2b928-f6e9-4d04-a8ee-d5ffdc00f188.jpg

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/log/5cc47268-7f6e-4789-85ec-e39e152ce60d.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Kunarion, it was the zoom! Mine (Internet Explorer) was set to 139% for easier text reading. When I set it to 100%, the image looks very similar to the source.

That answers the question. Now, is there a way to get 100% images and 139% text? :)

Thanks so much for clearing this up!

That answers the question. Now, is there a way to get 100% images and 139% text? :)

Firefox browser has Zoom Text Only function...

It looks like for IE it is "Text Size", but there are a limited number of choices (no custom). I still like mine at 139% Zoom and Text Size "Medium". At least I know now why the photos appear differently!

Thanks!

Firefox browser has Zoom Text Only function...

It looks like for IE it is "Text Size", but there are a limited number of choices (no custom). I still like mine at 139% Zoom and Text Size "Medium". At least I know now why the photos appear differently!

Thanks!

The only reason I thought of that is I had the same problem last week :anicute:. I was about to go complain about it, and as I was taking screen shots for comparison, I realized one picture was slightly larger. :P