GPSMAP 62S - Micro SD card use

I got all hot to trot and purchased a Garmin GPSmap 62s. I have been able to load geocache locations from my pocket queries with no problem to the devices internal memory. Everything appears to be working ok (I find the menus a little tough to use though!).

I recently purchased a Micro SD card for it (SanDisk Ultra class 10 8GB. Now I'm a little bit lost on how I can use the card to my advantage.

1. Can I load Geocache locations directly to the card? If so, does the device automatically know to look on the card for the locations?

2. I have not loaded any other maps to the device. Are these appropriate to place on the card? If so whats the best (idiot proof) procedure on loading maps?

3. In general Im not sure on how the GPSr knows how to access the internal memory vs.card memory.

Thanks for the advice,

I got all hot to trot and purchased a Garmin GPSmap 62s. I have been able to load geocache locations from my pocket queries with no problem to the devices internal memory. Everything appears to be working ok (I find the menus a little tough to use though!).

I recently purchased a Micro SD card for it (SanDisk Ultra class 10 8GB. Now I'm a little bit lost on how I can use the card to my advantage.

1. Can I load Geocache locations directly to the card? If so, does the device automatically know to look on the card for the locations?

Yes, put the .gpx files in folder \Garmin\gpx on the card.

2. I have not loaded any other maps to the device. Are these appropriate to place on the card? If so whats the best (idiot proof) procedure on loading maps?
Yes, the card is the place to put additional maps. The procedure depends on the type of map and where you get it from. But in general, the map files with the .img file name extension will go in the \Garmin folder on the card

3. In general Im not sure on how the GPSr knows how to access the internal memory vs.card memory.

Thanks for the advice,

When the unit boots, it reads both the internal memory and SD card and loads files from both sources that are recognized file types in the correct folders.

Yes, put the .gpx files in folder \Garmin\gpx on the card.

While it is possible that Garmin has changed the case of that folder on later models, be advised that at least for earlier ones (e.g. Oregon), it is Garmin\GPX (upper case), and that these devices seem to be case sensitive.

Thanks for that clarification ecanderson. I was not aware that the older models had the case restriction on the folder name. On my Oregon 550T (running firmware 6.60) the folder is named \Garmin\gpx (lower case) and the files load without a problem.

I'm not lucking out...

I have tried adding a map to both the built in memory and Micro SD card memory with no luck (map from OpenStreetMap) the 62 does not appear to recognize the map in either location. I unzipped the map and placed it in what I thought were the appropriate place(s). I have also tried multiple naming conventions. When I unzipped the download it did show as a Disc Image File: is this what i'm looking for?

I have tried to show a screenshot of the files on both the internal and Micro SD cards below.

GPS.PNG

I'm not lucking out...

I have tried adding a map to both the built in memory and Micro SD card memory with no luck (map from OpenStreetMap) the 62 does not appear to recognize the map in either location. I unzipped the map and placed it in what I thought were the appropriate place(s). I have also tried multiple naming conventions. When I unzipped the download it did show as a Disc Image File: is this what i'm looking for?

I have tried to show a screenshot of the files on both the internal and Micro SD cards below.

GPS.PNG

I have found the map on the 62, It was listed as "OSM generic routable": thats why I couldn't find it (thats not the name I gave it). Is there any way of knowing whether the map I chose/viewed was on the Micro SD card or internal memory? Also I renamed the files that I imported to the 62 and that name does not appear under the map selection (thats confusing) menu on the device. How do you know what map to use if it won't allow recognizable naming?