Garmin Dakota 20 or Magellan Explorist 10?

When out on a training exercise this past weekend, the guys and I stumbled upon a fully decorated [lights, even!!] Christmas tree out in the woods. They were all wondering what would possess someone to put a Christmas tree out in the middle of nowhere, but somehow I instantly knew it was a geocache. I have never been geocaching, nor had I ever seen one before then. But that accidental find intrigued me. So I've been reading up on the hobby, and looking at some GPS units in my price range.

In my local brick and mortar store, I found the Dakota 20. It's a no-box display unit for about $95. The employee I spoke to said they would be happy to download and print the manual for me.

In a popular online store, I found the Explorist 110, new in the box, for about $112.

I am torn between the two. Which one would you experienced cachers choose?

I agree to go with Garmin. Don't know much about the Dakota series but thats a good price on the 20.

It's a bit late now, but I have both. The Magellan 110 is a pretty nice unit with a bright colour screen. The Dakota has a touch screen which is dimmer but slightly larger. The Dakota picks up more sats quicker in a side-by-side comparision, but I think the Magellan is more pleasant to use overall as the screen is so much better. Magellan has 1.6Gb of user memory which will take OpenStreetMap topo maps, Garmin has a micro SD card slot for mapping.

Garmin for speed, Magellan for the display. The Mag. is on offer at the moment at about half price if buyers hunt. The Dakoto is also being phased out, and can be had as a factory refurb for about the same price as the Mag. 110.