A way of checking coordinates before hiding a cache?

Pan314159

Hello.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but...

Is there any way of checking a set of coordinates to see if they are "available" to hide a cache?

I know there's the map with the red circles when hiding, that shows space taken up by some caches, but since it only shows traditionals, not multis or puzzles, it's useful but not that useful. I'm not expecting that map to show multis and puzzles - that would give the game away - but is there any way of checking?

Are we allowed to message our reviewer with coordinates to check? Or would that just get too annoying (for them I mean)?

Also - if you try and hide a cache and then find that the area is taken, what happens to it? does it just float around, unpublished, on your account forever? Or can you delete it? I know caches can be archived, but wouldn't those still show up on your account?

Thanks for any help.

Most reviewers will ask you to create a cache page with the coordinates you want checked, with a note on the cache page indicating that the cache is being submitted for a coordinate check only. Writing up a test cache page makes it easier for your reviewer to get back to you.

If you create a cache in a location that is taken, then feel free to just edit it when you are ready to submit a cache at a different location.

Is there any way of checking a set of coordinates to see if they are "available" to hide a cache?

Are we allowed to message our reviewer with coordinates to check? Or would that just get too annoying (for them I mean)?

You have answered your question. Yes you can ask for a "coordinate check" for a location. Fill out the listing page just as if you were going to place the cache. In the Title put the words "Coordinate Check" or "Coordinate Check Only", then down in the notes for the reviewer put in a note that you are only asking to see if a location is clear and that the cache has not been placed.

Also - if you try and hide a cache and then find that the area is taken, what happens to it? does it just float around, unpublished, on your account forever? Or can you delete it? I know caches can be archived, but wouldn't those still show up on your account?
The listing will last, BUT you can use it (by editing it) for another cache hide in the future.

Does editing let you change cache type?

So could you change one that was originally for a traditional cache into an event cache?

Much later, I mean. So I try to create a cache now, it doesn't work out, so in a couple of months I use that page to create an event?

Edited by Pan314159

I think I answered your question in the UK Geocaching Facebook group earlier. But to clarify something. If you have a cache published it cannot later be changed to a different type. It would have to be archived and a new one created. If the cache had not been published the page could be 're-used' for another cache type. All aspects of the page can be edited.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website