Opening a new area

Blazer2

icon_biggrin.gif Sorry, hit the wrong button. Anyway the first cache has been placed so now others should have an easier time requesting permission. We will be placing others as in the furture. If anyone needs any help with what needs to be done, feel free to contact us, will help in any way possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Blazer2:

icon_biggrin.gif Just thought I'd let everyone know, we got the written permission to place the first legal Geocache along the Hennepin Canal State Parkway area. Took almost a month but we have the Go so now we will be re

IL SP had made caches illegal? icon_eek.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

The first part of the year they had come up with rules for them, such as containers, placement, what needs to be posted on the web page and that written permission was needed to place them. Contact the local site manager of a state park and they will be able to give you a paper of what is required. No ammo cans, the container must be transparent or clear. We found that if we enclose digital photos of the empty cache container, the filled one, and one of the items to fill the cache that it seems to help. But the request must be in writing and besides the container and cache items, you need to send along a topo of the area you want to place the cache in. Your Best bet is to contact a park site manager for more info.

I think you mis-understood what I was poking at...(or maybe not icon_confused.gif)

I find it hard to believe that your cache is the first in the ILSPs. And if there were no rules reguarding something, how could they be broken (ie: *illegal* cache placement)? icon_wink.gif BTW- congrats on the new cache!

quote:
Originally posted by Blazer2:

The first part of the year they had come up with rules for them, such as containers, placement, what needs to be posted on the web page and that written permission was needed to place them. Contact the local site manager of a state park and they will be able to give you a paper of what is required. No ammo cans, the container must be transparent or clear. We found that if we enclose digital photos of the empty cache container, the filled one, and one of the items to fill the cache that it seems to help. But the request must be in writing and besides the container and cache items, you need to send along a topo of the area you want to place the cache in. Your Best bet is to contact a park site manager for more info.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

No, the reason I said we opened a new area, we were told by the site manager that we were the first cache that permission was given for. See the Hennepin Canal Parkway is a state park but it is also on the National Historical Listing so the ok had to come from there. Not just the IDNR. But yes, I knew what you were meaning........

The post by IDNR was at this post in the midwest forum:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=3316058331&m=7886055

I wasn't aware of these guidelines until May of this year. One of the first caches that I ran into a problem with was Blazer2's. I encouraged him to work with the local land manager and get this cache placed with the appropriate permission. I'm really glad he did.

Since then, I've had to place a few caches on hold while people sought permission. It has been wonderfully successful. Every time that someone has actively sought the permission of the land manager, they have gotten permission without a problem, sometimes even getting additional possible locations.

There are many caches in Illinois State Parks that existed prior to the regulation. According to my contact at IDNR (Dan North's co-worker) cachers are on the honor system to get them registered with the local land manager and bring them up to current guidelines.

Again, I'd like to thanks Blazer2 for their hard work. This is the perfect example of how a Geocacher can work with the land manager and make everything better for all involved.

My dad and lil bro have caches hidden in state parks. The site sup wasn't aware of IDNR guidelines nor had he heard of geocaching. After they explained geocaching to him, he was really excited about caches in his park. He's all for anything that would bring more people to his park. I'd expect after the camping season slows in the fall the site sup will probably be hiding his own caches.

The election of the new Governor and the change in the staffing has had an affect on communication at the IDNR. The only place that this policy is posted is in the link I have above, not on the IDNR site at all.

According to my contact, many of the land managers don't have e-mail or the web in their offices. It's our job as Geocachers to inform the state park land managers by pointing them in the right direction.