Looking for feedback/opinions

Nomadog

Greetings Everyone!

I am in the midst of a career transformation and decided to start a travel blog. I want to be able to "drop" one sided coins with my logo and tracking number on them. They would need to be permanent (attached to something..ie tree, boulder, bridge, etc). Permanent, because I would not be able to maintain them like traditional caches because they will be scattered in different countries. I was thinking of turning it into a challenge with awards and prizes. The verification would need to be done somehow maybe by taking photos of that specific area. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have attached an image of the coin. Cheers!

1390172328_Nomaddog-coin-V2.jpg

I must be missing something. What would be the benefit, to you, in leaving these tags scattered across the country? Seeing how many people visit the same geographic region you visited? There is another GPS game which involves QR codes, which might fit your bill. As best I could tell, players in that game don't do any maintenance.

Greetings Everyone!

I am in the midst of a career transformation and decided to start a travel blog. I want to be able to "drop" one sided coins with my logo and tracking number on them. They would need to be permanent (attached to something..ie tree, boulder, bridge, etc). Permanent, because I would not be able to maintain them like traditional caches because they will be scattered in different countries. I was thinking of turning it into a challenge with awards and prizes. The verification would need to be done somehow maybe by taking photos of that specific area. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have attached an image of the coin. Cheers!

OK, first off, cool coin design! Love the detail on the dog's head!

Second, not trying to bash here, but there's a few problems (you did ask :) ) Maybe put together a list of issues so everyone can help out each on each one. So to start there, GS doesn't typically condone permanently attaching geocaching related items to stuff like trees, bridges, etc. Some might consider that defacing public/private property. Second, if this is a trackable number on the coin, you can only have one copy of that number in the wilds at a time (you've probably figured that out already). Third, these might be seen by Reviewers as "vacation caches", which are generally frowned upon. Especially since the maintenance plan is to permanently attach them to something. You should have a plan to maintain each stage of the Cache/Challenge. Fourth, depending in the total distance place-to-place (are we talking counties, states, countries, continents?), you may run into problems defining how such a challenge appeals to a significant number of cachers. While you may be going to cool places, how many other cachers will have an interest/be able to follow that path? Fifth, the verification requirement of taking a picture would probably be considered an ALR. Just my pre-cup-of-coffee observations.

Maybe another way to do this would be to release a series of coins during your travels, each somehow leading back to a traditional cache. Find one or more of the coins, get one or more "rewards" of some type. Of course coins go missing and tracking numbers get abused at times....

While I am not a 'coin enthusiast, I really like what I see -- as far as the design goes.

They would need to be permanent (attached to something..ie tree, boulder, bridge, etc). Permanent, becauseI would not be able to maintain them like traditional caches because they will be scattered in different countries.

But... it seems as though you want to treat the item as a geocache (bold highlight). They aren't a geocache. Unless it is configured to be some type of a container, it cannot be a geocache. At least not one listed on the geocaching.com website. With the exception of an Earthcache and a few other "grandfathered" types, there are no containerless geocaches allowed.

Outside of that, you will most likely run into a problem regarding "permanent" attachment as you stated above. It would probably run afoul of the defacement guideline below:

Geocache placements do not damage, deface or destroy public or private property.

Caches are placed so that the surrounding environment, whether natural or human-made, is safe from intentional or unintentional harm. Property must not be damaged or altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find.

Don't get me wrong, I love the design of the coin... I just think you may have geocaches and trackable items confused.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Greetings Everyone!

You've got trackables and geocaches confused.

With only one find, that you've logged as "found" twice, I don't think you've got much experience with geocaching, or the Guidelines that Groundspeak has put out for caches.

Your post is very confusing, because you've mixed together the concepts of trackables and geocaches. The "attached to something" part of your post is disturbing. It shows that you don't have the necessary experience to hide your own cache.

I don't know if what you mean by "verification", whether that's for someone finding a cache or a trackable, but the idea of a photo doing it isn't the way either works. That's what logs are for.

Perhaps some research into how trackables work and how geocaches work might be in order.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Geocaching 101:

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

Hiding Your First Geocache:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

B.