Caching in Bellefontaine (logan county), OHIO

nevin1977

A few weeks ago I dropped off an information packet that I compiled, to my local Parks & Rec. department.

The staff at the office said that Geocaching sounded like something that would be possible in the city parks. I called back a week later to find that it would have to go to a park board meeting..... I never got a call back from the director of the parks department on if he wanted me to go to the board meeting or not..... fearing the worse, i opened the newspaper to find this in the notes of the meeting

gpsartcl.jpg

Source: Bellefontaine Examiner - May 7 2003

I will be contacting the parks department to see if they have any requirements as to placing caches (like needing a permit, approval of locations, restrictions of location and container, etc...)

Good deal! That came as a nice surprise....I didn't read the last bit about contacting them, and my connection burped so I was waiting for the scan to come up and was expecting it to say it was not allowed.

Shoot an e-mail my way, I'd like to know more about this information packet. It might help me in dealing with some parks.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I just planted a cache in one of Bellefontaine's newest parks....

I picked this park cause that is where the park director was when i talked to him....

he has told me that permission has been granted to hide and seek caches, and no formal permission per cache is needed.

Rules and regulations:

- observe normal Geocaching rules from geocaching.com

- observe local park rules (parks close at dark, pets on leshes, no bikes on some walking tracks, etc.......)

- no cache can be planted anywhere they mow & trim

The director's name is William "biff" Roberts, and I have told him that if he has any problems with cache location or cachers, he can contact me if needed

Other than that, he is cool with it.

I might see if I can put on a caching workshop at one of the parks sometime; anybody interested in helping me?