how to do a multi

pvtplt172

Hi there i am somewhat new to geocaching. I have about 40 caches. I myself have not attempted a multi cache yet but would love to what is the best way to go about this ? The reason i am asking is because i don't really know how to do a multi cache just yet but wanted to give it a try. Does anyone have any advice?

Multis tend to work one of two ways:

1. You visit a series of waypoints to collect bits of information that will give you the coordinates for the final location.

2. The first way point leads you to the second waypoint, which leads you to the third and so on, until you reach the final.

Either way, you will ultimately need to know how to manually enter coordinates into your GPS or smartphone. If you tell us what you are using, someone (maybe even me!) will be able to explain how to do that if you're not sure.

After stalking your profile a bit :lol: you might try Leave It To Beaver or the Lime Quarry Tour.

Make sure you thoroughly read the cache pages for multis - print them out and bring them along if they are detailed - so you know what you are getting into. You may be required to use information on a sign or count the number of items (like fence posts) at a location to find the next coordinates. How to do this will be written in the cache description.

A Multi-Cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations. The final location is a physical container. There are many variations, but most Multi-Caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has a hint to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a Multi-Cache.

A Multi cache will have one or more intermediate stages you will have to find first to get the coordinates to the final cache. The stages may be as simple as a micro container with a slip of paper in it with the next coordinates written on it, or maybe the coordinates written on some other object like a metal tag. Or there might be some other information at that location, like a date on a monument or something like that, that you use to figure out the coordinates. If that's the case the cache description should give you some idea what you're supposed to do with those numbers (although I think this variation would be more correctly classified as a Puzzle)

In any case you'll have to manually enter the coordinates into your device, whatever you're using, to proceed to the next stage.

Make sure you read the description carefully and in particular know how many stages to expect. A simple two-stage multi can be done fairly quickly, but if it has like 10 stages it might take you awhile. Although I think anything over 2 or 3 stages is fairly uncommon.

Edited by Chief301

No matter how many stages, there is (should be) just one log book to sign.

One GC code = one "found it" log. The stages aren't logged as "found", just the final.

Read over the other logs to glean any info you can.

As other folks have mentioned, you will need to be able to input coordinates into your device. Multicaches are good practice for getting to know how to do that.

I hope you have fun searching for multicaches. Unfortunately, many people ignore them, no matter how simple they might be or what nice locations they are located.

B.

Some of my favorite, most memorable, unique fun caches have been multicaches! My only add to all the good info here is to start with a fairly simple multi, two or three stages that are all within walking distance, like in a park, short city block, or along a nature trail. I have done multis that have 10 stages and have you driving all over the place to the next location. While these can be fun, they also require a time commitment for one cache find, and it s*ucks when you get to stage 8 and cannot find the next step! Look at the difficulty/terrain rating for 1's or 2's to start out with.