Skagit Eagles

Ambrosia

We're doing another GeoRafting event. I'm starting this thread so that people can discuss the event off of the cache page.

Here is the event page: Skagit Eagles

This will be our sixth GeoRafting event, the second one that is a Bald Eagle float trip. The ride down the Skagit river is very easy, a class 1, and is a trip designed to enjoy watching Bald Eagles. This area has the highest winter population of Eagles in the continental U.S. Getting out on the water is one of the best ways to see the birds. People usually see anywhere from 50-200 Eagles on one float trip.

The event is open to everyone - you can bring your own boats (kayak, canoe, rafts), or ride on one of the 3-4 whitewater rafts that we can provide. Also, we will be providing hot chocolate/cider on the float as well as at the take-out. Anyone who doesn't want to do the float can gather with us at the end to enjoy the area and some hot chocolate/cider.

If you would like to go down the river on one of our rafts, we're asking for a recommended $40 donation. Commercial trips down this river cost about $90, to give you a comparison. Our suggested donation goes to cover different costs like equipment maintenance, guides, fees, etc. We understand that this may be a lot for some, so we will not turn anyone away who can't afford it.

We have plenty of life jackets, but are more limited with youth and have no infant jackets. As the cache page says, dress warm like you would on a winter outing, including gloves and winter boots. This isn't a trip where you should get wet, unless it rains. Bring a camera, you'll get lots of great photos! Take a look at the link on the event page to our last event, to see all the great pictures the event attendees were able to get.

Wow, this looks fantastic! We are definitely trying to make it

I'm wondering about the put in and take out locations and how we get back to our rigs. Should we provide our own shuttling if we bring our own craft?

Looks like there is a training session for those using the guide service which is something those with our own craft might want to pass on. Is it longer than a few minutes?

Also about the terrain rating, seems like it should be T5 like all paddle caches, especially for those bringing their own craft, like we would. What's the thinking behind the 1 star T?

Edited by _Shaddow_

Lots of good questions.

The put in coordinates are the ones listed as the main coords for the event. The take out is listed as an additional waypoint on the event page: N 48° 29.040 W 121° 35.700 I believe it is a county park. Both have good sized parking areas.

In the past, we've just used a couple cars to shuttle drivers to their cars.

There will be a short briefing at the beginning, but only a few minutes. The river isn't that hard to raft. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting there early to set up the rafts and be ready for everyone.

We've had lots of discussions in the past about the terrain rating for rafting events. Do we rate for the rafting, or the get together at the end? For some reason, I rated this one as a 1 star terrain. But now that I'm thinking about it, the main emphasis is on the rafting, and I'm sure there will only be a couple people who don't raft. So I'm changing the terrain to a 5.

Also, if people want to arrange for cars to be at either ends, we can discuss earlier times to meet up to shuttle, and also, if people want to exchange numbers, just pm me.

Also about the terrain rating, seems like it should be T5 like all paddle caches, especially for those bringing their own craft, like we would. What's the thinking behind the 1 star T?

The paddling is optional, you can just join in on the shore and never get wet.

Is this your event?

Nope, but as per the open post:

Anyone who doesn't want to do the float can gather with us at the end to enjoy the area and some hot chocolate/cider.

Sounds optional to me...

Is this your event?

Anyone who doesn't want to do the float can gather with us at the end to enjoy the area and some hot chocolate/cider.

Sounds optional to me...

Clearly the event is about paddling down the river.

Let the CO respond please.

Lots of good questions.

The put in coordinates are the ones listed as the main coords for the event. The take out is listed as an additional waypoint on the event page: N 48° 29.040 W 121° 35.700 I believe it is a county park. Both have good sized parking areas.

In the past, we've just used a couple cars to shuttle drivers to their cars.

There will be a short briefing at the beginning, but only a few minutes. The river isn't that hard to raft. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting there early to set up the rafts and be ready for everyone.

We've had lots of discussions in the past about the terrain rating for rafting events. Do we rate for the rafting, or the get together at the end? For some reason, I rated this one as a 1 star terrain. But now that I'm thinking about it, the main emphasis is on the rafting, and I'm sure there will only be a couple people who don't raft. So I'm changing the terrain to a 5.

Also, if people want to arrange for cars to be at either ends, we can discuss earlier times to meet up to shuttle, and also, if people want to exchange numbers, just pm me.

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I missed it on the page. We'll plan to show up at the posted time.

Thanks for reconsidering the T rating and updating, it seems to fit much better now.

Regarding the shuttling, is that something that seems to workout well on the fly once we're there or should we try to coordinate directly with someone else ahead of time?

Is this your event?

Sounds optional to me...

I was just repeating what they said before you asked the question. But I guess you need them to repeat themselves...

Is this your event?

Sounds optional to me...

I was just repeating what they said before you asked the question. But I guess you need them to repeat themselves...

None of your posts have been very helpful, in fact you seem to be trolling.

Edited by _Shaddow_

Hello, for those of you that don't know me, I am Eric (Ambrosia's husband). Here's some answers to questions that may help (I'll start with the most recent). Footwear of course is your personal preference. The boats we're using are not a self bailing boat. What this means is that the floor is solid (hypalon which is like rubber) all the way across and it doesn't allow water in (unlike a self bailing raft which has an inflated floor with openings all the way around). Sorry if this is too much detail, but what this means is that in an ideal setting we should have no water on the floor of the boat and feet should stay dry, so wear what is warm and comfortable.

That being said, we are on a river and the process of getting in and out of the boat, the possibility of a rare splash, and the possibility of rain will decide if the floor of the boat is wet. This is why we recommend a winter/hiking boot with warm/wool socks. Water proof/resistant always helps. Water shoes are fine, but as you know offer no warmth to your toes which could be rather uncomfortable (of course if you wear wool socks with water shoes it's not as bad).

As far as shuttling, what works well is to have as many vehicles at the take out (with warm dry clothing in case it rains) so that when we get out people have their things. The way we do this is, once everyone has arrived we choose the vehicle (or 2) with the most seats, along with all other vehicles (and one driver) and we shuttle them to the take out (before we begin the trip and while others are getting ready) with the vehicles with the most seats bringing the drivers back up to the put in. This way at the end of the trip we only have to shuttle one or two drivers back to where we started to retrieve their cars.

Hope this all makes sense, and sorry if it's too much detail.

Eric

P.S. If all goes as planned we should be done well before kickoff (in case you're concerned about watching a certain football game).

Looking forward to a great trip, the weather looks like it will be decent (so far).

List as of now:

In our rafts:

4 - AndrewRJ

2 - las3dogs

2 - JesandTodd

2 - The Jester

2 - Prying Pandora

1 - twlare

2 - yellow1961

3 - LibLabLady

4 - Ambrosia (Patudles, Water Lily, and wanderlustwoods)

Maybe in our rafts:

2 - twlare

1 - fairyhoney

In their own boats:

? - _Shaddow_

2 - twlare

It looks like we have enough for 3 rafts, with room for a few more at this point, depending on the "maybes". Let me know if I'm incorrect with any of these numbers.

Our guides are all41, Kboy and (most likely) Neil.

Edited by Ambrosia