Active Tracklogs

Coach88

My uncle who relies on me for his GPS problems showed up today. He has a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. His 20 tracks are filled up but when I downloaded the info to my PC he also had 113 Active Logs. I deleted the saved tracks since it seemed that they were all interconnected. I've seen this on my 60CX when you don't turn you track log off, then turn off the GPS. When you turn it on again, seems the track log connects the last point with the next and you end up with a straight line between the two points. Is there a way that I can save those Active logs as 1 track and load them on his GPSr for him. When I send the info to the GPS, some of the tracks appear on the Map and the message that the tracks are full appears. It looks like it loads the max 20 tracks. The track log shows 70% full.

Any help is appreciated!

In Basecamp or Mapsource, you can select the track and join them together. The saved tracks in a Venture HC are only 500 points each though.

When I join each track, I get the same problem where it connects the last point and the first point from the next one...

When I join each track, I get the same problem where it connects the last point and the first point from the next one...

Then I have no clue what you are trying to accomplish. You said you want them as one track....so they must join together.... You can have up to 20 separate tracks of 500 points. You can build them any way you wish, but they can't have gaps within each track.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve? If you want a lot of track management, you need a newer GPS.

Edited by Red90

Allow me to clarify as I seem to have confused some...

My 72 year old, non tech savvy Uncle has no computer. He relies on me to help him out with his GPS. He sorta made a mess of tracks since he doesn't really understand the concept of turning his track log on and off. Soooo.... he has a bunch of random small snowmobile and Atv trails within his track log. I cleared his GPS, uploaded his data to Mapsource and cleaned it up a bit. My question was: Is there a way to save all or most of these bits and pieces of tracks as one. The answer I get is: Yes but by joining all of them together.... therefore creating another mess of random straight lines. Now... I noticed that I can rename the track logs. Once I rename the track logs, is it possible to upload them individually to the GPSr. In other words, I could pick which ones I would upload and leave the others on the PC for upload at a later date.

Thanks for your input and feel free to ask any clarifying questions :)

As Red90 stated above, on that unit you can have 20 saved tracks each containing 500 trackpoints. So, Yes, you use Mapsource to join track segments, rename tracks, and load the ones you want- if keeping within the above parameters.

If your track segments don't possess the same direction you can go in track properties and invert any so they join in a continuous logical manner. Now, if your segments are of different trails separated by large distances you will get a long straight line that connects them. If that is acceptable to you it may suffice to accomplish the task in question.

Again, as Red90 stated, a more elegant solution is for your uncle to upgrade to a unit that does not have these track limitations.

Also within the track tools are options for reducing the size of the tracks if you need to get to 500 points. If you went out and bought your Uncle a nice new Oregon 450 (very cheap right now)... You would be able to save 100s of tracks up to 10000 points each and manage them on the GPS.