Garmin Oregon 550

buck8075

Hi there. I am new to the forum and somewhat new to using GPS. I have a question about my Oregon 550. I just bought the unit and prior to this I used a few higher end phone apps. one of the features I loved in my apps was the ability to create a "trip" which contained all my tracks and way points. Then when I was done I could save that trip and view it or continue it later. I can't seem to do that with my new Oregon.

Basically what i would like to do is view tracks from past trips to the same state park for example so that I don't walk the same spots twice. How can I do this? I am able to use the "where to" feature but that will only show me one set of tracks that I choose. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Joe

Go to the Track Manager and you can turn on 'Show on Map' for any track. You can download Garmins free Basecamp software, and copy your tracks from the device into Basecamp and view, edit etc. The reverse is possible, too. Import your Pocket Query into Basecamp. Using Google Earth, trace over a trail with the Path tool. Save that and load it into Basecamp. Then use Basecamp to download the PQ with that track(s) to the device and the trail(s) will show on your handheld ' map.

I have the same unit. Here is a step by step.

If you want to start a new track do this:

1. Go to SETUP>RESET>CLEAR CURRENT TRACK

2. Back up one screen and hit TRACKS>TRACK LOG (make sure this setting is set to "RECORD, SHOW ON MAP")

3. If you so choose, you may change the other features in under "TRACKS" if you want different intervals, or track colors.

4. Go on your hike!

5. At the end of the hike go to TRACK MANAGER>CURRENT TRACK>SAVE CURRENT TRACK

6. You can view your previous tracks from the TRACK MANAGER menu.

7. You can upload your tracks into base camp by plugging your device into your computer and transferring the data.

If you are in the field and want to view previous tracks do this:

1. Go to TRACK MANAGER>"YOUR TRACKS NAME">SHOW ON MAP

2. Repeat step #1 for all the tracks you want to see.

3. VIEW MAP

Hope this helps.

Edited by RevCacher