Offline Caching with C:Geo

neonride93

I know C:Geo has had its issues with Groundspeak and is not quite in favor - but its the only one I can find that really does everything Offline -

I recently ( July ) Trashed my Oregon 450 So after 4000 finds with a GPSr, I have gone to completely caching with the Galaxy S3 - Just thought I would share my experiences and what I do. Personally I have not had any issues - including power caching in Nevada with over 350 finds in one day. I also have Sprint for coverage and that has not been known for the best coverage in my area.

With that being said I treat my phone and my caching trips like I would when I had the Oregon - I make sure I am set before I leave the house. Having the connectivity is only a bonus when I log from the field or have to access more logs.

Most important is the offline map - which can be obtained from

http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/

You can then set C:Geo to use either Google Maps or Use the map you download. Wisconsin is 44mb's so you have to download it on a computer and transfer via cable. Mine is always set to the downloaded offline maps because even when I have data connection it seems to be pretty slow ( Sprint ) This worked nice when I went to Canada in August - We drove so I had downloaded the Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Ontario Maps so I could easily switch between them. I crossed over into Canada turned my data off completely and was still able to get a bunch and still had a nice Map.

Second is the PQ's - for me I keep a pretty extensive GSAK database and always download the new PQ's into GSAK and run a few filters to remove caches that have multiple DNF's or Needs Maintenance logs. You can also Download PQ's directly from Geocaching.com You can create as many lists as you want in CGEO but I usually only have one main list. I import the GPX file from GSAK. I Use Google Drive - When I export it from GSAK I put it into my Google drive folder on my desktop and then it shows up on the phone you can import the file directly from the drive app on the phone.

Third is logging. I am still experimenting with how I do it. You can save offline logs and then export them as field notes right to geocaching.com or what I have been doing is moving the caches from the main list to a "found" or "DNF" list and then when I am done I export that list as a GPX file and import them back into GSAK and use the GSAK Log feature - I did this in Neveda for the power trails. If I only found a few I will usually go the field notes way.

Are there any other Cgeo users? What experiences do you have? One thing I am looking for is a better map - the mapforge maps are great for in town but I Had the USGS Tops on the Oregon - and while they are very adequate it would be nice to have a little more details out in the woods.

The only other thing I miss is the track. There are other apps you can use and to be honest I never used it much before but if I ever got lost Smile I do usually set a way point ( You have to add a way point to an existing cache ) when I am going to be wondering from the car.

The other thing is Battery - I did buy an extended battery and I keep the original battery with me when I am on all day runs - It is just something I have to be conscious of little more - plunging it back in when I get to the car and so forth but even the 14 hour days in Nevada I was never worried - got back to the hotel with 36% left.