Idea for intra-state sports rivalry trackables

benanda

We live in central Kentucky and thought of an interesting way to have some fun with trackables: set up a pair of caches and a pair of trackables that University of Kentucky and University of Louisville fans can have some friendly competition with. Being completely new to the whole trackable thing, we don't know if this jives with trackable etiquette and rules, but here's the idea:

- Set up a cache near Rupp Arena in Lexington and a cache near the Yum Center in Louisville

- Attach a trackable to a miniature wildcat and another trackable to a miniature cardinal

- Place the wildcat in the Lexington cache and the cardinal in the Louisville cache

- For both teams, if their trackable mascot is "home" it's "good luck" for the team, and if their trackable mascot is in "enemy cache," it's "bad luck"

- Geocaching fans of either team can take one trackable at a time back and forth between the two locations, attempting to give their team good luck and bring bad luck to the other team.

Right off the bat, we guess this kind of setup could tempt people to do illegal virtual logs more. We would also want some kind of rule in place where you only take a trackable if you're going to be able to return it to the other cache (about 75 minutes away) within 24 or 48 hours. If one of the trackables sits in limbo for two or three weeks, especially during peak basketball/football season, it could throw a damper on the whole thing.

Does anyone have any comments on whether this would be acceptable, tips to make it work well, or thoughts on any other issues that we might face? If it's an acceptable idea, is it already being done anywhere else?

Competitions can be fun. However, the history of geocaching competitions have shown most all to be dismal failures.

You need specific rules (not 'guidelines'), referees, judges, appellate committees... and even then, it usually degrades from a friendly competition to folks or groups of folks hating one another....

... then, the dirty stuff starts.

I also have a competition TB that is competing with my brothers TB.

We have chosen the Lord of the Rings theme, and they just want to make kilimeters. Every 3 months we look who has traveled the most in those 3 months. Then therace starts again. This way we always have a challange. Even if one has a huge advantage in the beginning, the other one can still win in the next 3 months. That way we keep it competitive. And every 3 months they have equal changes.

Reading your idea I think they also would move to different places. I for example had a TB that wanted to go North, in real life it went South in the beginning. Maybe you better can do 'visit as many kilometers/miles'. I think then you have a better chance of luck. :)

Edited by #Tenzin