New in Oklahoma City

bubblegiggles

Hello Bubblechunks and welcome to Geocaching!

Im not from OKC, but maybe if you tell us what model you bought we can help you figure it out.

So fire away, what model? what are you having trouble with?

Sometimes I get stuck trying to figure out GPS features icon_confused.gif and what not..I just do a search on the forums, and usually come up with a solution. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck in your Geo-Adventures!

C-Troop

Thank you very much for offering your help...I can sure use it! icon_wink.gif I have a Garmin Etrex and understand most of it, but I'm having problems entering known lat/lon values for the caches I've found on this website that I want to visit. On one of the chache sites, the lon values seem to be higher than the Etrex will allow...has this ever happened to you? I had 4 cache sites that I wanted to visit, but could only enter 1 in due to this, and the GPS says that this cache is 28 miles away from my home waypoint when I know for a fact that it isn't over 15 miles away max. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

Bubblechunks

quote:

On one of the chache sites, the lon values seem to be higher than the Etrex will allow...has this ever happened to you?

The numbers on geocaching.com pages are whole degrees with decimal minutes (e.g. N35 32.123 W97 12.456). Some sites use decimal degrees with no minutes or seconds (N35.67890 W97.12345).

If your GPS is set to enter waypoints in decimal degrees, you can convert the coordinates from DD MM.mmm to DD.ddddd or you can try to find the menu item that sets it to "degrees-decimal minutes". You can convert the coordinates at

http://jeeep.com/details/coord

quote:
I had 4 cache sites that I wanted to visit, but could only enter 1 in due to this, and the GPS says that this cache is 28 miles away from my home waypoint when I know for a fact that it isn't over 15 miles away max. Any thoughts on this?

IMHO, you should sit down with your owners manual. If you don't have one, you can get a PDF of the manual on Garmins web site in the customer support area.

http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.html

You don't have to have a waypoint entered in your GPS to find a cache. Just follow the lat and lon indicators until they match up with the values on the printout.

Also, there is a monthly dinner meeting of OKC area geocachers. A lot of people show up there who can help you with your eTrex.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7049

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:

On one of the chache sites, the lon values seem to be higher than the Etrex will allow...has this ever happened to you?

The numbers on geocaching.com pages are whole degrees with decimal minutes (e.g. N35 32.123 W97 12.456). Some sites use decimal degrees with no minutes or seconds (N35.67890 W97.12345).

If your GPS is set to enter waypoints in decimal degrees, you can convert the coordinates from DD MM.mmm to DD.ddddd or you can try to find the menu item that sets it to "degrees-decimal minutes".

quote:
I had 4 cache sites that I wanted to visit, but could only enter 1 in due to this, and the GPS says that this cache is 28 miles away from my home waypoint when I know for a fact that it isn't over 15 miles away max. Any thoughts on this?

IMHO, you should sit down with your owners manual. If you don't have one, you can get a replacement on Garmins web site in the customer support area. You don't have to have a waypoint entered in your GPS to find a cache. Just follow the lat and lon indicators until they match up with the values on the printout.

Also, there is a monthly dinner meeting of OKC area geocachers. A lot of people show up there who can help you with your eTrex.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7049

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

Hey there Bubblechunks, glad you figured the problem out. By the way, hope you can make it to our OKC area geocachers meeting. If you go and look at some caches local to OKC you should see it. I think the date is incorrect on it, but I believe our next meeting will be the 13th of April. We usually have around 20 or more people show up, so if you still need some help, there will be plenty there to help you out!

-HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK