FL State Parks and Camping

TAG&theGSD's

Hey,

Looking for some help in picking out a camping spot for myself and at least 1 dog sometime around Christmas. Hoping to drive down and spend some time with family and then hit the hiking trails and camp. A nice bathroom/shower is required but that is about it. Any suggestions on really good caching too, numbers are not important just a nice hike. Splitting up the trip in 2 different spots is possible with total staying time about 7 nights. I have been to the gulf coast of Orlando and Tampa a few times so that is really the only area I even sort of know. Thanks for any help!

The GF and I really like the Tampa/central areas for camping & hiking.

Being December when you plan to come, you may want to consider some of the parks down in the Florida Keys. It can get a little nippy in the northern and interior parks. Haven't logged any there yet, but the Keys also offers a great many different kind of caches and challenges. I'm looking to take time off work and get down there and find some and maybe hide one or two.

Try to book early though. Weekends can be tough to book in the parks. Unless you do the primitive style camping.

If you have a smart phone (we've got iPhones), Florida has a state parks app.

Edited by ^up

Highland Hammocks is a FL State park, lots of geocaching there, and you might still be able to get a site.

Jonathan Dickerson likely has the most caches, and is a great place to go - but a real tough one for campground reservations. Odds are not with you on site availability at this point. Also, many the caches will be archived at the time of your visit as new ones will be placed for mid-January - per land manager request that most hides last about a year, then move. Keeps the user damage at the site down.

Gonna throw this in here because we are moving and need to sign back up for our yearly passes....

....does anyone know of any way to get the Florida yearly passes cheaper than directly through FL parks. Little tight on the budget with a move and job change (Miami to Tampa).

Hey,

Looking for some help in picking out a camping spot for myself and at least 1 dog sometime around Christmas. Hoping to drive down and spend some time with family and then hit the hiking trails and camp. A nice bathroom/shower is required but that is about it. Any suggestions on really good caching too, numbers are not important just a nice hike. Splitting up the trip in 2 different spots is possible with total staying time about 7 nights. I have been to the gulf coast of Orlando and Tampa a few times so that is really the only area I even sort of know. Thanks for any help!

In my opinion the camping grounds are too expensive in Orlando. So i usually book a hotel room. Try out http://orlando.hotelscheap.org/ . You are independet from weather and you have a pool. Good luck for your plans.