Greasemonkey geocaching scripts

And Sister

I've found several geocaching-related Greasemonkey scripts to add on to Firefox. I especially like(d) GCComment. One of the things I liked about it was that it allowed you to write a comment about a cache, similar to the personal cache note already on the geocaching.com site. But these comments could be downloaded to my GPSr when I did a PQ or loaded the cache individually so they could be looked at in the field. At some point in the last couple of months, that part of the script disappeared. I no longer see any way to add these comments, although other parts of the script still work for me. Is anybody else out there using this script, and if so, can you tell me if you've experienced the same problem? I have the most current Firefox, which as of this writing is Firefox 24. How can I fix the problem?

Is anybody else out there using this script, and if so, can you tell me if you've experienced the same problem? I have the most current Firefox, which as of this writing is Firefox 24. How can I fix the problem?

I don't use the script, but the problem is almost certainly not Firefox, it is the site. Geocaching.com has changed the site so much in the past few months that pretty much all Greasemonkey scripts that have not been updated will no longer work.

I had a problem with Firefox and when I restarted it had updated to the latest. The update says 24.0. It removed Greasemonkey and all the scripts. Reloaded the Greasemonkey and the scripts but it hasn't shown me anything. Checked to make sure they were enabled and they show they are.

What else can I do?

Is anybody else out there using this script, and if so, can you tell me if you've experienced the same problem? I have the most current Firefox, which as of this writing is Firefox 24. How can I fix the problem?

I don't use the script, but the problem is almost certainly not Firefox, it is the site. Geocaching.com has changed the site so much in the past few months that pretty much all Greasemonkey scripts that have not been updated will no longer work.

Fizzy can anyone fix the scripts?

The script's author will need to fix the script. Unless you're knowledgable with coding to fix it for yourself. But I'm sure if the script isn't working after a geocaching.com website update, the script author would love to know so they can provide an update for everyone.

Keep in mind that Greasemonkey scripts are not the problem of the sites they 'grease'. Groundspeak has no steak in ensuring that 3rd party scripts they don't support continue to work. It might upset some people who rely on them, but ultimately it's the responsibility of the script author to keep things 'working'. If you use a greasemonkey script, you may well find its functionality broken often and sometimes at random. It's an inherent risk :unsure:

The script's author will need to fix the script. Unless you're knowledgable with coding to fix it for yourself. But I'm sure if the script isn't working after a geocaching.com website update, the script author would love to know so they can provide an update for everyone.

Keep in mind that Greasemonkey scripts are not the problem of the sites they 'grease'. Groundspeak has no steak in ensuring that 3rd party scripts they don't support continue to work. It might upset some people who rely on them, but ultimately it's the responsibility of the script author to keep things 'working'. If you use a greasemonkey script, you may well find its functionality broken often and sometimes at random. It's an inherent risk :unsure:

No I'm not

And it's not a script. None of the scripts are working.

Plus it almost looks all the authors gave up updating. Only seen patches

Edited by jellis

If none of the scripts are working, I don't know what to tell you. =/ I presume you have greasemonkey turned on. (I've often accidentally clicked the little guy not realizing I've turned him off until the websites appear their original way =P).

Most I can say is... make sure GM is on, and then contact the script authors. If you can't contact them, then you may be out of luck, unless you can find someone who can make the necessary changes to make them work (and perhaps re-publish under a different GM project so others can use it too).

*shrug*

If none of the scripts are working, I don't know what to tell you. =/ I presume you have greasemonkey turned on. (I've often accidentally clicked the little guy not realizing I've turned him off until the websites appear their original way =P).

Most I can say is... make sure GM is on, and then contact the script authors. If you can't contact them, then you may be out of luck, unless you can find someone who can make the necessary changes to make them work (and perhaps re-publish under a different GM project so others can use it too).

*shrug*

All on

After I the last Firefox update which wiped out all of Greasemonkey I had to put it back and the scripts and made sure it was on.

Only other thing I might suggest is checking security settings. Other than possibly broken scripts, I don't know why a good and up to date install of Greasemonkey wouldn't be working, sorry

FWIW, the only thing that has ever broken Greasemonkey scripts for me has been site changes here. I have never had trouble with updating Firefox.

FWIW, the only thing that has ever broken Greasemonkey scripts for me has been site changes here. I have never had trouble with updating Firefox.

Then the script (or scripts) not working may well need to be updating. Even a minor change in the HTML structure of a page the script alters can break the script.:huh: Again, if the author isn't responsive, then the script may well be pooched unless someone can do the programming to fix it up (but it won't be distributed to all users through the script project page).

Only other thing I might suggest is checking security settings. Other than possibly broken scripts, I don't know why a good and up to date install of Greasemonkey wouldn't be working, sorry

Are they working for you Fizzy? As I mentioned I thought it strange when the Firefox updated the Greasemonkey and all the scripts were gone. I replaced the Bag o Tricks and Waypoint Finder. But I don't see any change on the website. It's one thing if they just aren't working but to lose all the greasemonkey seemed off.

Are they working for you Fizzy? As I mentioned I thought it strange when the Firefox updated the Greasemonkey and all the scripts were gone. I replaced the Bag o Tricks and Waypoint Finder. But I don't see any change on the website. It's one thing if they just aren't working but to lose all the greasemonkey seemed off.

Yes, all the greasemonkey scripts are working for me.

BTW, has anybody ever contacted the author of Waypoint Finder to see if he updated for the most recent site changes?

I'm guessing my problems don't lie with Firefox. I suspect the script needs updating. But I don't see a way to contact the author. I've looked, but all I see are links to scripts he's written. No email link. And I don't want to register for the site just to see if that makes a difference. The author of one of the scripts doesn't appear to have contributed anything recently.

I got everything back. Turns out since I had put back the Greasemonkey and the scripts, I didn't update the fixes.

You will need to edit the script. Find this line:

liYourStuff.setAttribute('class', 'hover');

and change it to:

liYourStuff.setAttribute('class', 'dropdown');

and this

Open the script with an editor and change line 95 from:

var e_menu = e_menu_nav.childNodes[1];

to

var e_menu = e_menu_nav.childNodes[1].childNodes[1];

All is well with the world. :D :D :D

Edited by jellis

Am I correct in assuming that this is an edit for the Waypoint Finder script? That's not one I use, so I guess I'm still out of luck. I want that mystery mover and the comments (sent to GPS) back.

I got everything back. Turns out since I had put back the Greasemonkey and the scripts, I didn't update the fixes.

You will need to edit the script. Find this line:

liYourStuff.setAttribute('class', 'hover');

and change it to:

liYourStuff.setAttribute('class', 'dropdown');

and this

Open the script with an editor and change line 95 from:

var e_menu = e_menu_nav.childNodes[1];

to

var e_menu = e_menu_nav.childNodes[1].childNodes[1];

All is well with the world. :D :D :D

How odd. Today I looked at two puzzle caches. On one of them (http://coord.info/GC4N78R), the greasemonkey script has added the line for Final Coordinates (with the drop down menu to note whether the cache is solved/not solved/found). It's right below the coordinates box. On the other page (http://coord.info/GCQ1JG), that line does not appear. I then checked a few other caches, such as http://coord.info/GC43WQT, and again, that line does not appear. Why would it appear on one puzzle cache page and not on others?

How odd. Today I looked at two puzzle caches. On one of them (http://coord.info/GC4N78R), the greasemonkey script has added the line for Final Coordinates (with the drop down menu to note whether the cache is solved/not solved/found). It's right below the coordinates box. On the other page (http://coord.info/GCQ1JG), that line does not appear. I then checked a few other caches, such as http://coord.info/GC43WQT, and again, that line does not appear. Why would it appear on one puzzle cache page and not on others?

You should show snippets (screen grabs) I looked at the first link and didn't see anything. So maybe I don't have all the Scripts you have or it must be something else.

I didn't think I could post a picture, though I'd have liked to. I just went back to the pages to try to take a snippet and post it, and now the Final Coordinates line is no longer showing up on that cache. This is really weird. And disappointing. :huh::( I wish this script would get fixed!

You should show snippets (screen grabs) I looked at the first link and didn't see anything. So maybe I don't have all the Scripts you have or it must be something else.