Geocoin sent to me

gpmonkey

Hi~ Recently a friend sent me a geocoin they picked up in Germany about 3 years ago. They never geocached again but wanted to get it back into circulation. When I look it up, nothing shows up. Also an activation code is not available. Is there anything I can do to get it back in the system?

thanks

GP

Hello GP,

If the coin was ever in the system it still is... no need to get it back in there. If wasn't in the system, and has a tracking number (2 letters followed by 4 alphanumerics typically) but your friend found it in a cache it could be unactivated but unlikely - unactivated coins are extremely rare. If that is the case you would need an activation code to get it into the system so it can start to be tracked. But it's also likely that it is not trackable, or trackable on a site different than geocaching.com. Phew, it gets very confusing.

Also, if the letters of the tracking number on the coin are really small you may need a magnifying lens to be sure you are not confusing a 0 for an O, a 1 for an I, an S for a 5, a Z for a 2, an 8 for a B.... etc etc ... and vice versa. That is probably the number 1 error most of us make when we can't get to a coin's tracking page.

Good luck.

Hello GP,

If the coin was ever in the system it still is... no need to get it back in there. If wasn't in the system, and has a tracking number (2 letters followed by 4 alphanumerics typically) but your friend found it in a cache it could be unactivated but unlikely - unactivated coins are extremely rare. If that is the case you would need an activation code to get it into the system so it can start to be tracked. But it's also likely that it is not trackable, or trackable on a site different than geocaching.com. Phew, it gets very confusing.

Also, if the letters of the tracking number on the coin are really small you may need a magnifying lens to be sure you are not confusing a 0 for an O, a 1 for an I, an S for a 5, a Z for a 2, an 8 for a B.... etc etc ... and vice versa. That is probably the number 1 error most of us make when we can't get to a coin's tracking page.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the helpful responses. I love the geocache community. Droo you are right...I thought an S was an 8! Got it track and an logging it as found!

Thanks again

GP