Pocket Query of archived caches?

beerslayer2000

I would like to be able to create a Pocket Query containing info on all the caches in my area that are archived. The primary reason I need this is because I keep a database in GSAK that I use to keep my GPS (Garmin 60CSx) and my Palm (CacheMate) full of caches, but without the ability to update the GSAK database with listings of caches that are no longer active, they never get cleared out of my database. If I had a PQ with a list of archived caches, it would be a simple matter to flag those in GSAK that are no longer active and ensure that they don't get sent to the GPS and/or Palm.

Please do not suggest a smartphone. I prefer a standard GPSr for many reasons. Also, I do not want to clear out all my old data in GSAK; I just want to flag/update the caches that are no longer active without removing them entirely. I just want to create a PQ that can filter caches based on whether or not they are archived. I was surprised to learn that this functionality does not already exist on geocaching.com - I cannot possibly be the only person who could make good use of it.

You don't need to run a PQ -- the API functionality within GSAK will allow you to refresh the status of caches already in your database.

In GSAK, select the menu item "Geocaching.com access" then select "Refresh cache data..." then change the select to "All in current filter" and click OK.

It will update all the caches in your current view; you can then use the GSAK filter functionality to select only the caches that are archived, then either move or delete them.

I would like to be able to create a Pocket Query containing info on all the caches in my area that are archived. The primary reason I need this is because I keep a database in GSAK that I use to keep my GPS (Garmin 60CSx) and my Palm (CacheMate) full of caches, but without the ability to update the GSAK database with listings of caches that are no longer active, they never get cleared out of my database. If I had a PQ with a list of archived caches, it would be a simple matter to flag those in GSAK that are no longer active and ensure that they don't get sent to the GPS and/or Palm.

Please do not suggest a smartphone. I prefer a standard GPSr for many reasons. Also, I do not want to clear out all my old data in GSAK; I just want to flag/update the caches that are no longer active without removing them entirely. I just want to create a PQ that can filter caches based on whether or not they are archived. I was surprised to learn that this functionality does not already exist on geocaching.com - I cannot possibly be the only person who could make good use of it.

After you update your GSAK database what is wrong with looking at the last GPX date and note the ones that did not update? Probably really good candidates to be removed because they are now archived.

A "status check" in GSAK via the API is the quickest way of confirming that a cache didn't update because it's been archived. Not only does the status check run faster than the refresh option, it doesn't count against the daily API limit. You don't get new logs, but you do find out that a cache is archived or disabled (or re-enabled).

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I cannot use the API, so far as I can tell, because I'm running GSAK under Linux using Wine, and I can't seem to make the necessary connection to the host database. Unless I can find a way around that blockage, that option doesn't work for me.

As far as GC.com's hardline stance on such things, I really don't understand this one. There's a legitimate need, and I'm a premium (paid) member. This would almost certainly be trivial to implement - just another field to filter results on. Why won't they even consider this? Are they trying to phase out all old-style GPSes and convert everybody to smartphones? If so, they will lose my business. I will not buy a smartphone just for geocaching. How, exactly, do they think people might abuse this information?

The 'Last GPX date' is an option, but a clunky one. I see no way to do this in a single operation - if 10 caches disappear off the latest GPX, I have to go update every single one of them by hand in GSAK. What a PITA for something that should be a simple update.

I'm growing increasingly dismayed by some of GC.com's draconian policies - this isn't the first time they've thrown unnecessary and ridiculous roadblocks in front of me.

Anybody there listening, GC.com?

Edited by Keystone
to comply with forum guidelines

Archived caches are not available in pocket queries because the caches are archived. When Geocaching.com tells a landowner that a cache is archived, they explain that this means people won't see it in search results and downloads. There are land manager policies saying that website listings must be "deleted" when the cache is removed - but you want the data to be fully accessible via download. Not gonna happen.

It has always, always been that way - even in the days before smartphones existed. The only exceptions are for archived caches in your "My Finds" pocket query and for archived caches that are part of a bookmark list for which you've run a pocket query.

You don't need to run a PQ -- the API functionality within GSAK will allow you to refresh the status of caches already in your database.

In GSAK, select the menu item "Geocaching.com access" then select "Refresh cache data..." then change the select to "All in current filter" and click OK.

It will update all the caches in your current view; you can then use the GSAK filter functionality to select only the caches that are archived, then either move or delete them.

Sounds useful, but I see no such menu item. Is that new to GSAK v8? (I'm still using v7 because I prefer a registered v7 to an unregistered v8.) If this functionality exists in my copy of GSAK, I can't find it.

Sounds useful, but I see no such menu item. Is that new to GSAK v8? (I'm still using v7 because I prefer a registered v7 to an unregistered v8.) If this functionality exists in my copy of GSAK, I can't find it.

Yes, definitely a version 8 feature. It was introduction of the API integration that prompted me to go to the paid version of GSAK -- totally worth it.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I cannot use the API, so far as I can tell, because I'm running GSAK under Linux using Wine, and I can't seem to make the necessary connection to the host database. Unless I can find a way around that blockage, that option doesn't work for me.

As far as GC.com's hardline stance on such things, I really don't understand this one. There's a legitimate need, and I'm a premium (paid) member. This would almost certainly be trivial to implement - just another field to filter results on. Why won't they even consider this? Are they trying to phase out all old-style GPSes and convert everybody to smartphones? If so, they will lose my business. I will not buy a smartphone just for geocaching. How, exactly, do they think people might abuse this information?

The 'Last GPX date' is an option, but a clunky one. I see no way to do this in a single operation - if 10 caches disappear off the latest GPX, I have to go update every single one of them by hand in GSAK. What a PITA for something that should be a simple update.

I'm growing increasingly dismayed by some of GC.com's draconian policies - this isn't the first time they've thrown unnecessary and ridiculous roadblocks in front of me.

Anybody there listening, GC.com?

I'm increasingly troubled by Groundspeak's approach to just about everythign caching-related. To be honest what enjoyment I get out of geocaching seems to be largely despite their best efforts rather than because of them.

That said I agree with their stance about not making full details of archived caches available. If a cache has been archived for permission or safety issues the last thing they want is an unknown number of well-meaning folks visiting the site wanting to remove the container.

I use my own software for processing pocket queries and anything that doesn't update in a designated period of time is marked as being of unknown status. Sometimes that means it used to be the 998th cache in a query and has been shunted to below 1000th place by new caches, sometimes it means it's archived. Another option determines whether "unknown status" caches get exported to my GPS, and I set that so they aren't.

At some point I might get around to using the API but for now it meets my needs so it's fine.