Geocoin grabbing - basic, but so confused!

saintadz

We found our first geocoin today. I have now been reading up on how to log it correctly and I might as well be reading martian!

I took it from the cache it is listed as being in so understand I need to log it as retrieved not grabbed. (if I had found it in a totally different cache I would log it as grabbed - am I right?!)

But, then it says something about other players grabbing it from you and to log the find asap... how can someone grab it from me? I literally have it in my possession. I am going to place it in a cache at the weekend... can anyone please explain what on earth all this means?!

Thank you!

We found our first geocoin today. I have now been reading up on how to log it correctly and I might as well be reading martian!

I took it from the cache it is listed as being in so understand I need to log it as retrieved not grabbed. (if I had found it in a totally different cache I would log it as grabbed - am I right?!)

But, then it says something about other players grabbing it from you and to log the find asap... how can someone grab it from me? I literally have it in my possession. I am going to place it in a cache at the weekend... can anyone please explain what on earth all this means?!

Thank you!

Anyone else with the code can enter that and as far as the system knows, they would then have the coin. Of course, you would still physically have it in your possession, and you could grab it back, etc.

You've done it correctly for now, having listed it as you retrieving it from the cache at which you found it. Now, find another, safe,secure cache-hopefully one that will get the coin a little closer to its goal, if it has one--and leave it there. Make sure when you log your visit to that cache, that you mark the coin as being 'dropped' there, and then the next cacher can continue to move it on its way.

Thank you!

If you drop the actual coin in another cache and wait a few days before logging it, someone else may pick up the coin and grab it from you before you have a chance to log a drop into the cache where you left it. THEY SHOULD wait a few days or try contacting you before they grab it but some people are very inpatient.

Thank you!

And if you go to an event, or meet another cacher they could literally grab it from you.

Remember, in order to take ANY action with a coin or other trackable, you must have the tracking code stamped on the coin. Therefore you must have had the coin physically in your possession to log it. So no one could just "grab" it from you unless they have seen it and obtained the code engraved on the coin (which is different from its TB number online). At least that's how it's supposed to work. This is why it's so important not to post pictures of coins online that show the tracking number, or otherwise make the number available to the world....anyone with that number can wreak havoc on the coin's page and log any action they choose, even if they've never been in possession of it.

Essentially there are 4 actions you can perform with a trackable:

-Drop off in a cache

-Retrieve from a cache

-Grab it from some other location (another player or a cache where it is not properly logged into the inventory, which would prevent you from simply Retrieving it)

-Visit a cache, where the TB remains in your possession (also known as dipping)