Poetic Justice?

jellis

Well I hope the cacher who wrote this log doesn't mind I post this. I am not going to include his name but he does come on the forum so he can tell you who he is, if he wishes. I just got a kick out of it.

Log Date: 8/30/2013

Found the cache. I parked at the suggested place on Golf Links and left my car there while I found several caches on the hill. Thanks a lot. But...

When I back to where I could see my car parked by the side of the road, there was another car next to it. "That's odd." The car then pulled out and the driver looked at me and flipped me the bird! "Odder still." He was so busy flipping me off that he forgot to get out of the lane of oncoming traffic, so he rammed head-on into a car coming up the road. (No, I'm not making this up.) It looked like everyone was OK, so I went to put my stuff away before going over to see if anyone needed any help.

That's when I discovered that they'd been breaking into my car. I drive a convertible and park with the top down, so they didn't actually do any damage, but they got into my center console where, for the first time ever, I'd put the paycheck I'd just picked up at work this morning. (No problem: already canceled, replaced, and deposited.) That and my EBRPD parking pass were the only things of interest lost, and they didn't even hurt the console getting into it. Remarkably painless, considering.

I figured all that out and called the cops while I walked back towards the accident. The two guys in the car had already run off, and the guy in the other car was also on the phone to the cops. It turns out that the car the two thieves were driving was apparently stolen, so these guys had had a busy day. At least 4 cops showed up and had fun sorting out three separate crimes: a stolen car, breaking into my car, and a hit and run. I have no doubt the bad guys won't pay for any of them, so I'm secretly hoping they got hurt in the accident, at least. The guy in the other car said one of them was limping when he ran away.

The efficient Oakland Policemen got everything they needed from me and let me leave after only an hour. It looked like they'd have the two cars hauled away and Golf Links Road open to two lane traffic again soon after I left.

So welcome to Oakland. The moral is, "Don't park here."

Edit to add it's not my cache but a friend's.

Edited by jellis